𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖭𝗂𝗇𝖾

"I told you, it's really not necessary— uh..."

"Rengoku Kyojuro!"

"Right. Rengoku-san. I'm fine."

Yuichiro tried not to look interested as he trudged ahead of the strange fiery man and his sister, the injured woman hitching a piggy back ride while a slightly embarrassed y/n was held in the arms of this odd stranger.

Yuichiro would've preferred to carry his sister himself, but also didn't trust himself to carry her without hurting her.

But he was still acutely aware of what this, "Rengoku Kyojuro" was doing. He seemed nice, but that didn't confirm if he was actually a good person.

"You jealous?" Shiori asked in a teasing tone and Yuichiro gave her a glare, "Oh, you're definitely jealous. Afraid he's gonna take away your precious sister?"

'Shut it!' Yuichiro swatted at Shiori only for the cat to hop away, snickering as she skittered off into the darkness.

"At least until we get to the hospital! You're clearly very injured, considering how you fell out of nowhere like that, so give your body a chance to rest!" Rengoku urged and y/n sighed.

"Okay..."

She closed her eyes, trying her best to ignore the dull throbbing and slight sting of her injuries. Maybe she should've waited until they'd healed.

Y/n grumbled to herself, head drooping to the side and bumping against this strange man's chest.

'I'm such an idiot...'

Y/n ended up dozing off, exhaustion creeping up on her, and she awoke to Yuichiro peering down at her with worried eyes. She blinked blearily as she slowly became aware of her surroundings.

The two of them were in a bench, Yuichiro seated with his older sister's head resting on his lap while he carefully pat her head.

And her mask—

Her mask.

Y/n sat up abruptly, Yuichiro jerking backwards to avoid being struck in the chin, "My mask! Where—!"

Her eyes fell upon Rengoku who stood in front of the two siblings, curiously observing the mask. He gave her a look of surprise, then smiled.

"This is a well-crafted mask! Did you make it yourself?" he asked and y/n cringed slightly.

Ugh, so loud...

"Yeah. When I was a kid." y/n mumbled as the man returned the mask, "Keeps blood out of my eyes."

"Can you even see through it?"

"Why yes, I can." 'Not the typical way, though.'

Y/n got up with a quiet grunt, quietly assuring Yuichiro that she was fine. Rengoku watched her closely for a moment before finally asking, "Those wounds of yours are very serious. Why are you running about in that condition?"

"I heard there was another slayer killing people around here." y/n replied simply, "I couldn't stand the thought of letting it continue, so I gave myself some time to try and build up my body again before coming out to put an end to this 🐂💩."

"What type of condition were you in for this to be the result of you resting and building up your body???"

"Let's just say it didn't go as planned."

Rengoku shook his head, "I admire your determination to protect the people living here, but you can't do any protecting in that state. Give yourself two days to rest, alright?"