CHAPTER 6

"How do a Majiwa and a land-dwelling-red-man get together, anyway?"

"Karmirian by the sea shore, Majiwa in the water, first we were friends and then so much more."

Poge looked at Adera, waiting to see if she would elaborate.

"Huh," she said when Adera said nothing more on the subject. "Okay, but didn't you see him with that other girl? I mean, he's not exactly waiting around for you."

"He will come for me. I will wait for he."

"I've not known many Karmirians to be very loyal."

Adera stopped dead in her tracks and frowned.

"Of the Karmirians, you know next to nothing. Hold your tongue girl, and stop your blathering." Adera's bright hair swirled around in a huff as she continued walking.

"Look, I wasn't trying to offend. You're right, I don't really know them. But I see well and I see a lot. It's my job to monitor what the other tribes and peoples are doing. I've learned a lot of languages from listening but I learned a lot more from watching."

"Your habit is one of looking with the eyes. But only true contact will spot the lies," Adera said. She whipped her hair back just in time for an arrow to wiz past her.

"To ground," Poge yelled as she pulled her own bow out and braced her arrow, pointing it in the direction from where the shot had come. Nothing came out of the woods. Then she heard the sound: a soft clicking.

"I am Poge, I come from Joro. Speak your name and speak plain."

"I am Feoma, of the Tero. Lower your weapon and show yourselves."

Poge stood up and tapped Adera on the shoulder, urging her up from the ground. Adera watched, fascinated, as the two greeted each other.

Adera was unsure if this person was a man or woman. Dressed in men's clothes like Poge and wearing short hair, it was impossible to tell.

They grabbed arms in greeting and spoke so fast that their words blended together in a jumble of excitement.

"What are you doing out here? Don't you know there's a war going on?" Feoma began.

"Why do you think I'm out here? I'm hoping to gather as much information as possible before I return to my people. Of course, we are always willing to share what we've gathered with the Tero."

"It is unsafe for a woman and the two you of you hardly pass for boys."

Poge looked over at Adera. "Well, she doesn't, but I look almost like a boy."

The woman turned her attention to Adera. "I am called Feoma, after my mother. You are welcome. Let's welcome one another," she said, holding up a splayed hand to Adera. Her voice was lovely, the octaves flowing as she greeted her.

"I am Adera, and a friend I am true. It is ever so lovely to meet someone like you.

A Majiwa from the depths of the sea, my green friend Poge has agreed to guide me. Your voice is clear, your song is true. How is it you sing like no others do?"

"You are too kind, I'm sure I fail. Come with me and I'll tell you the tale."

To Poge, she added, "Come, we'll seek shelter before the night is upon us."

She turned and disappeared into the woods, leaving Adera and Poge to race after her.

The dwelling where Feoma camped was a small hut she used to store her equipment out of the elements and keep herself hidden. The entire location was engulfed in greenery. Leaves and branches all strategically placed hid the entrance into the hut and covered it from floor to roof. Adera's eyes fell on the shiny equipment inside with wonder. She'd never seen such things and wondered what all the lights and buttons were for.

"Please, don't touch, I know it's a bit much. But the responsibility's on me. If you break it, I'll be punished, strung to a tree."

Adera snapped her hand back from the machinery.

"You've been here for a long time."

"Yes, and you two showed up on my radar about an hour ago. I was wondering what you were doing but as you drew closer, I recognized you for Joro and you had to be warned. You're right in the middle of a fighting line. The mermen and the red-men may go to war."

"What?" Adera waited for the translation before she raised a hand to her mouth. Feoma told her the story while she prepared them a small meal.

The Majiwa had been in search of one of their young maids taken by the land-dwellers near the water's edge. They'd demanded her return or they would go to war. The Karmirians believed it was all a lie, a ploy to begin a war since one of their princes, has gone missing. They blame the Majiwa.

"The Karmirian prince, he is my true love. He's the reason I left the water for the realm of man above," Adera said.

"We are traveling north to meet him," Poge said. "She and he, well, they're in love and they want to be together. But they can't do that here." She helped herself to the plate of food placed in front of her.

Adera stared at the plate before her. A fish burned with fire. She'd never had fish in this manner before. The flavor was all off. She picked at it, removing the charred parts and eating only the cooked flesh inside. It made her stomach churn. The fruits and berries provided, however, were delicious, and she cleared her plate of them. She sniffed the flower milk. It had a pink tint to it. She sipped at it and found the flavor delicious. She drank it fast, not worried about the looks that the green ones gave her.

"You two must go home. Adera needs to return to her people. It may be the only way to end this war. Poge, your people would appreciate an update and that I can give you. You are both too young to be here."

She cleared the plates and knelt before Adera.

"Your love is innocent and pure, but if you don't return home, this war will endure. Put both your heart and your lover's aside. Return to the place in which you should reside."

Adera bit down on her lip. She didn't want to hear this. There was something horrible about this war being on her shoulders. She didn't want the responsibility nor did she want the burden. She and Sanee wanted to be together, but that wasn't justification for a war or any other such thing.

"With violent men, there is always fight. I will follow my heart and do what's right."

Feoma frowned.

Adera didn't think it was the answer Feoma was expecting or wanting, but it was the only honest answer she could give. Feoma pulled out two beds for them to sleep on. The floor was hard and Adera struggled to find comfort long after Feoma had fallen asleep.

"You don't sleep," Poge said.

"No, this bed is hard like stones. I miss the water, as do my bones."

"Close your eyes and try to sleep, little fish. If you don't, tomorrow, sleep will be your greatest wish." Poge yawned and rolled over, snoring.

* * *

The next day, Poge and Adera rose early. Feoma left out a set of clothes for Adera to change into. She promised they would fit better and that they should leave as soon as they could.

"If you go now, head straight for the water. You'll be home by tomorrow morning." Feoma didn't seem to think there would be any contest to her advice and went on with the rest of her day. "I've got to go. Pleasant journey." She held up her splayed hand to Adera, then grabbed Poge's arm. Their foreheads touched before they parted.

"Thank you, Feoma, for your hospitality and wise words."

"I know you won't listen to a word of it, but, either way, there are pouches of food to take on your way." She smiled at Poge and shook her head as she left.

Poge turned to Adera.

"These clothes are much better, Adera. But your hair... It's so colorful and long, the hat isn't helping much." She held a hand to her chin. She moved to the kitchen area and found a pair of shears. "We need to do something about it."

Adera held up both hands pleading.

"No."