CHAPTER 20

ADERA STOOD WAITING IN ALMOST the same spot Sanee had left her, her arms crossed over her chest. Her eyebrows and mouth pointed down in anger. This was the young woman who'd thrown him over her shoulder. It was something she never would have done before her journey north.

Remy read the situation and dismissed herself.

"I'll gather my people. Meet us at the bell-tower in one hour," Remy said.

Sanee nodded and approached Adera with caution. There was something in her expression he didn't recognize.

She avoided his gaze at first.

Something inside him ached at seeing her angry. Maybe she'd lost faith in him. He'd have to work to get it back. He didn't understand how much it had meant to have it until now.

"Are you well, and ready to listen to what I have to tell?" Sanee asked reaching for her hands.

Adera, even with her short stature, looked down her nose at him before placing her hands into his.

Sanee waited for Adera to meet his eyes before he spoke.

"I did not fight against my kinsmen nor anyone else. We spoke of peace and bid them welcome our messengers when the time comes. We will work to unite our peoples rather than continue to divide them."

A small smile started at the corner of Adera's lips and soon reached her eyes.

"What I've said is true. I couldn't bear it if I hurt you," Sanee said.

Adera threw her arms around his neck and kissed his face. The warmest kisses he could ever hope for. In that moment, a light snow fell. He'd never seen anything so beautiful as his mermaid in the snow.

An hour later, when the group gathered once again, they greeted each other in the various acceptable forms. Poge, Jiden, and Neke stood with several others. There was a young boy who looked like a blond version of Remy who stood under Elrem's arm like a crutch.

"Good we're all here," Remy began in a stilted slow speech. "I will try to speak in the most common language understood by all. My name is Remy, for those of you who don't know me. We've established this council to deal with issues concerning our community and our lives while living in the unclaimed Northern Territory."

There was an eruption of cheers and murmurs of assent.

"The border disputes are just a sample of what's coming if we don't take action. What I'm proposing will be an extreme and progressive change from what we're accustomed to out here."

That silenced the murmurs but Remy continued.

"It is time that we claim the Northern territories once and for all."

There was a hush followed by a louder roar of applause.

Sanee looked around and realized since Remy had started speaking, the crowd in the court yard had doubled in size.

"We are unclaimed no more. I propose we establish our government here and now. We will retain the council of advisors for now and forever. One representative from every land represented by our people to speak for us to our kinsmen."

Sanee sensed the rush of pride as everyone agreed. He looked over at Adera.

Her smile told him she understood the proposal.

"That, however, is not enough. We need something more, something that all the other lands can't claim. They have a generation of leaders bred from their people. As a mixed people, I suggest something new and yet the same. A purebred ruler and his purebred bride. A prince and princess for this First Kingdom of Bolaji. The first because we will be the first to bring peace to the surrounding nations."