Chapter 1

In the great hall King Eirik sat at the head of his table of knights, advisors, and sons. His most trusted of his inner circle had been summoned to discuss the marital arrangements of his eldest son.

To his left his oldest son sat tall and poised next to him. Looking every part the next in line for the throne. His middle son sat next down the line in his knight armor looking intimidating. His youngest son next to him was loudly slurping his ale and let out a belch.

King Eirik was ready to pass on his crown to his son and mentor him in his role as King of Pantoran. The people, mainly one of his advisor's, would not let Prince Atticus succeed to the throne without a Queen and heir.

A representative from the kingdom they would be merging with was present for the meeting.

"I have gathered you all here today to announce the betrothal of my oldest son Atticus Wright to the Princess of Mardalia. This union will make our kingdom more prosperous, powerful and will bring us peace and prosperity in the future."

The hall erupts into cheers as everyone lifts their drink to toast Atticus. He lifts his drink in appreciation of everyone's excitement for him.

Atticus had so many questions for his father. He had only recently learned of his betrothal and wondered about his soon to be bride. He knew that Mardalia had riches and resources that weren't found in their kingdom and they would be allying with an overseas nation, extending their grasp further. And he knew of the discontent some of his father's advisors had, but he did not expect his dad to wed him off to a foreigner.

He was more than happy to do it. Whatever it took to help his kingdom and make his family proud. His duty was to his kingdom and he would do what he was born to do honorably. However, he still hoped his betrothed would be beautiful and worthy to be called his queen.

Aurelius on the other hand was pleased that it wasn't him faced with being betrothed. He could continue going and coming as he pleased, with whom he pleased. Slaying enemies, protecting their kingdom, going wherever fate called him.

Better Atticus than him. Father's Golden Boy deserved the political bride. He actually felt sorry for his brother for once, he was perfect so Axel and he could just be.

And Axel, Axel was ogling a young maiden who was tasked with keeping his glass full. She fluttered her eyes bashfully in his direction at his wolfish stares. Her skin lighting up like fire.

The representative of Mardalia stood up. A dark skinned man with short curly hair, and colorful clothing.

"We are thankful and hopeful for the betrothal of our Princess to your Prince, King Eirik. Our Kingdoms will mutually prosper from this arrangement. To show our gratitude we are gifting your kingdom 1 ton of our spices and salts, 600 units of Ivory, and our finest textiles. We hope this token of our gratitude is well regarded." He bows to the king.

King Eirik rises. "Thank you for your gifts to our Kingdom. We would like to send you back with iron, copper, and our finest wines for your king to enjoy."

"Thank you King Eirik," the representative bows.

Atticus patiently sat and waited for the dinner to end. He wanted a moment to talk to his father alone.

Finally the great hall began to empty and Atticus was left alone with his father, the representative and one of the court's more esteemed advisors. Ronan.

His Father's kingdom encompassed many other clans, lesser nobility, and townships that stretched vastly across the country. Ronan was a representative from The Monarchy, who had also won trust with King Eirik. Atticus did not feel the same way.