Kinship Of Glory

A sense of victory had burrowed itself into Mihira

A sense of victory had burrowed itself into Mihira. She had never planned to be inconspicuous, to be just a mundane citizen and the embezzlement discovery as well as her input in the investigation had turned out to be a haphazard but useful move to make.

When, a week later, Eklavya found out who was embezzling—a nobleman— Mihira was called by Rukmabahu in his office.
"Please, take a seat, Devi Mihira." He said when Mihira entered,"I trust you know the news?"

Of course, she knew. Eklavya and she had celebrated his freetime by wandering around the city, trying to beat eachother at comical observations.

(Eklavya had won, only because Mihira could not deny that the young children were acting like  trained pets in front of their parents.)

However, she titled her head. "I apologise, but it seems to me that I am unaware of which news you are referring to, your excellency."

He nodded, his face impassive but a spark of satisfaction in his eyes. He did not want Eklavya to indulge offical topics with her. Unfortunately for Rukmabahu, Eklavya and Mihira were eachother's solace and entertainment. Even though Eklavya had not said anything, he had let himself be relaxed again, contacted Mihira himself and offered to go to the Gauri temple. He was giving her subtle signs and knew that Mihira would know.

Rukmabahu answered her unspoken question. "The one guilty for embezzlement was arrested the previous evening, Devi Mihira."

She allowed surprise to flicker across her face and minutely nodded,"That is utmost admirable. I must congratulate my friend later. Though, I suppose you did not order this meeting for news?"

A test that most would not catch, had they not been trained in diplomacy. There was a marginal difference between setting a meeting and ordering one. She needed to know if he thought them at equal ground or he used his status as a sign of superiority.

Mihira silently admitted to herself that she was testing the third Prince too much but could not help it. She had not had another interaction with anyone of the Royal family but Rukmini for prolonged time and Mihira was not stupid enough to psychoanalyse the creator of the world.

Rukmabahu replied,"You suppose correct. Due to your contribution in this investigation and the fact that you unearthed this atrocity, you are being promoted to Assistant Manager of Finance and you will be given an honorary certificate as well as a reward."

Mihira inclined her head, noting how he did not mention any ceremony. Of course, they would not want to air dirty laundry like embezzlement. However, was Mihira ready to jump over even Virendera —her current superior— and make enemies due to her leap?

Oh well, she thought, you gain some, you lose some.

"I am, of course, honoured to receive such regards, your excellency. I aspire to continue to assist the state as much as I can."