2

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

on the morning following Zhao and Zuko's Agni Kai, Zhao announced that the fleet would join a blockade at the division between Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation waters. Hana would be joining Zhao and his men, as her father made him promise to keep her at his side. it's not that her father didn't trust her to be fine on her own, but he felt it would be best that she would be able to experience more at Zhao's side.

Hana was exited to be able to sail out and gain more experience at what it's like to be part of the Fire Nation Navy, but she wasn't prepared for how boring the blockade was. she patrolled the ship and the sea all day, she had practically memorized every single detail of her area inside and out. the design of the ship, the different movements in the tide, and the array of shapes she saw in the clouds.

she was beginning to think this was all she would do or see until Commander Zhao ordered for the giant slingshots to be ignited and launched. Hana rushed onto the ships main deck and saw a giant bison dodge the huge stones of fire along with a smaller Fire Nation ship following suit. she recognized the small ship as Prince Zuko's.

"the boarding party is ready to apprehend Prince Zuko, sir" the Captain says to Commander Zhao.

"wait. cut the engines and let them pass"

the Captain and the soldiers, including Hana, give Zhao a questioning look, but obey his orders. the ship's engines cut off before colliding with Zuko's ship. Hana stands beside Zhao and the two watch as Zuko's ship passes through the blockade and into Fire Nation territory.

her eyes stay focused on Zuko, who glares at Zhao. she is surprised when the Prince's gaze move over to her. his glare morphed into a look of confusion. he had no idea why Zhao had a teenage girl at his side. both at the Agni Kai and now here. he knew Zhao didn't have a daughter, so just who was she? and how could she stand to put up with that insufferable man?

"follow the smoke trail" Zhao announces after a moment of silence.

Hana realizes that he didn't stop the Prince's ship because he wanted to follow it. she had recently spoke with some of her crew-mates and found out that Zuko, and now Zhao, we're hunting the Avatar. the giant bison she had seen moments ago made sense, that was the Avatar. and he was headed for Roku Island.

the young girl silently admired the temple for Avatar Roku as she, Zhao, and his men searched for where Zuko and the new Avatar would be. she had always admired the architecture of the Fire Nation, and this was her first time inside such a large temple.

she didn't focus much on Zhao's speech, she truthfully didn't care and probably no one else did anyways. his favorite hobby to fault his power and make everyone believe that he's the best. and he just wants the Firelord to believe he's good and promote him more.

while Zhao talked to the fire sages, Hana turned her focus to the three people who were chained up to one of the pillars in the hallway. one was a fire sage and the other two were in Water Tribe clothing. they must have helped the avatar enter the temple. Zuko gets tied up on another pillar and Zhao and his men line up to attack the Avatar once he enters again.

Hana stands inbetween the pillars that hold their soon to be prisoners when a bright blue light comes from the door. she turns her head away and closes her eyes to shield her eyes from the light as a smoke/fog covers the ground.

"ready...fire!" Zhao and his guards produce simultaneous fire blasts towards the Avatar.

it's not surprising that the Avatar manages to block the attack and redirect it, but what shocks everyone is that Avatar Roku stands in front of them. the former Avatar sends the large blast of fire back towards the soldiers, making them all fall to the ground and the chains holding Zuko and the others back melt away. Hana had held onto one of the pillars when the blast went off, so she watched Zuko run off as soon as he was free.

"get him!"

her legs immediately move and she runs after the Prince. was this the ideal way she had pictured to meet him again? no. but as long as she could possibly talk to him this time the circumstances didn't matter. the building began to shake as she followed him down the stairs ways of the temple. either he didn't know she was following him, or he knew and didn't care to confront her. it stayed like that until they finally managed to exit the temple. she saw an even smaller ship than the one he had before docked on the shore. she didn't see her ships, so it was clear that he was docked on another section of the island.

suddenly, Zuko vanished from her vision. she quickly ran onto the boat, hoping that he had already boarded it, but he was no where to be seen. she searched the outside and the inside. while she was about to open the door to go back to the main deck, she was forcefully pushed against the metal door, her face stinging from the harsh impact.

"who are you?" a deep voice spoke, and Hana recognized it as Prince Zuko. her arms were pinned behind her back, so she picked her foot up and kicked him in the shin to make him stumble back and release his grip on her so that their positions could be switched. again, not the ideal first personal encounter.

Hana's instinct was to obey Commander Zhao's orders, to capture the Prince and take him back to their ship. but as she looked into his eyes, one's that shined as bright as gold, she let her guard down. this was possibly her only chance to join him, to protect him, just as she promised herself.

Hana let go of his arms and bowed down to her hands and knees, "please, allow me to join your crew, Prince Zuko"

"why should I trust you?"

"my father is former General Shun. he retired from the Army on the day of your banishment, he could not stand to aid a man who would do something so cruel to his own child. I joined the Navy in hopes to see you, to pledge my loyalty and help you until you safely return home"

Zuko stayed silent to study her and her words. she didn't look to be much older than him, possibly even younger. he knew of her father General Shun, he was one of the nicer Generals her had encountered in his childhood. what he didn't understand about the girl is why she would abandon her position, her honor as a Navy soldier, for him. a banished Prince.

a thought accrued to him, a impure one at that. if Commander Zhao knew he had this girl, one of his soldiers, perhaps he could use her to make a deal with him. give Zhao the girl back and in return he would leave the hunt for the Avatar solely to Zuko.

"fine, you can join me. now get up"

Hana obeyed him and stood back up. while her face was now full of joy, his still held a grim glare.  she figured it was due to lack of trust, but that was fine with her. she would gain his trust soon.