9

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

Hana spent three weeks at sea, floating on a piece of driftwood with barely any food or water, with Zuko and Iroh as company. for the first week she felt numb, the second week she was borderline insane, and the final week she accepted everything that happened until this moment.

she didn't realize the reality of her reactions until Iroh brought them up. she killed a Fire Nation Admiral, fled with the banished prince, and abandoned her position as a Navy soldier.

she was in some deep shit. the guilt of it all ate her up.

though the hunger, dehydration, and stress briefly ended for all three when they discovered land. they sought refuge in a small town and were brought back to health.

it's now the anniversary of Zuko's banishment. three years since the day that changed everything. three years since Hana made her vow to find and protect Zuko. she's found him now, but she also has realized that it will take more than she imagined to protect him.

"that massage was heavenly...it's your turn Zuko"

Hana says to the prince as she sits on the floor of the doorway, opposite of him. Iroh was in the middle of his back massage. the prince didn't respond, he's been giving her the silent treatment since the beginning of their exhausting travel from the North Pole.

"you can't ignore me forever, Zuko"

he doesn't respond again, which makes Hana irritated. before she can speak again, Iroh places a hand in her shoulder.

"it's the anniversary, isn't it?"

Zuko doesn't look up from the ground, but speaks to his uncle, "three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar. I want my honor, my throne. I want my father not to think i'm worthless"

"i'm sure he doesn't!" Iroh tries to reassure him, "why would he banish you if he didn't care?"

Hana sighs, realizing that even the kind and wise Iroh wasn't good with reassurance. perhaps it just runs in the family. Zuko walks away immediately.

"that came out wrong, didn't it?" Iroh glances back to her and the massagers who witnessed the whole thing.

"let me handle the talking," Hana briefly puts her hand on Iroh's shoulder before following after the prince.

she finds him sitting on the beach, his back facing her as he stares into the setting sky. she sits beside him, enough space between them to not make him uncomfortable, but close enough for them to have a proper conversation.

"three years ago today, I vowed to myself and my parents to protect you. you may think that your banishment was the end for you, but for me, it was just the start. you spent this whole time finding the Avatar, and I spent it finding you. neither of us should stop our journeys. I'll help you find the Avatar and go home, but I can't do that if you ignore me for the rest of our time together"

Zuko restrained himself from looking at her and responding. she was right, he couldn't ignore her forever, but he needed more time for more distance to grow.

"i'm not giving up on this, Zuko," she continued, "I gave up my entire life to be here, the silent treatment won't make me leave now"

"I didn't ask you to give it up"

though his words were meant to be harsh, Hana couldn't help but smile. she broke through the barrier. she leans back in her hands and relaxes her body.

"I may not know everything about you, but I do know that you're right, you would never do that. that was my decision because I see the good in you that your father didn't. you don't deserve this life"

he shrugs, "I broke the law and this is my punishment"

Hana shakes her head. though he's talking, he's not listening to what she's saying, "you were a kid, and you're the prince, you shouldn't be punished for doing what you thought was right and could protect your people. that is why i'm here, why i'm risking everything to help you. you deserve a chance to make things right again"

Zuko admires her resilience and determination, and that's what scares him. it seems that nothing will stop her from doing what she wants. he could tell her that he doesn't want her here and never wants to see her again and she would say that could happen once she's done helping him.

he's scared to get close to her, to care, because if that happens he won't want her to leave. he'll be the one doing everything in his power to keep her with him.

Zuko let's out a deep breath and stands up, "it's getting dark, we should head back"

Hana follows him as he walks away, "wait!" she grabs his wrist and stops him, "did you even listen to what I was saying? are you going to give me any kind of response?"

Zuko looks away from her pleading eyes, "I don't know what you expect me to say"

"literally anything would be nice. just an acknowledgment that you understand why i'm fighting so hard to stay"

he shakes his head, "your stubbornness will only get you hurt...how's that?"

he pulls away from her grip without waiting for her own response and hurries off to bed. tomorrow he can go back to ignoring her. it's for her own good.