4

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

Hana, truthfully, saw nothing wrong with Zuko's attitude. it was understandable for him to be on edge, every day that passed without him catching the Avatar was another day that he spent away from home. he had no other choice but to follow this path, and Hana wanted the boy to be able to return home, along with the rest of the crew that was with him.

the lack of trust from Zuko was the first thing Hana wanted to fix. if he did not trust her it could be difficult for her to help him. she thought about multiple scenarios where she could gain this trust, and ways she could talk him into letting her go on these side missions with him and his uncle.

the only ones who did trust Hana at the moment were Iroh and the guards who had been keeping watch of her while Zuko and his uncle weren't around. Iroh had told her that Zuko had informed Zhao of her transfer to their ship, and according to the letter sent by carrier pigeon, Zhao expressed disappointment. but Hana didn't care, she only joined Zhao so that she could get to this moment.

while she, Iroh, and some of the crew were playing Pai Sho one afternoon, Zuko and the Lieutenant were planning their course for their search of the Avatar.

"we haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm, but if we continue heading northeast..."

the Lieutenant stopped his sentence short when the room was filled with darkness. as another ship appeared beside them.

"what do they want?" Zuko asked, recognizing it as Zhao's fleet.

"perhaps a sporting game of Pai Sho" Iroh suggested.

"they're not very good at it" Hana laughed, making Iroh and the three other players laugh as well.

when Zhao's soldiers came inside the inner deck where she and the others were, Hana recognized the Captain as one she had seen a couple of times while she was part of Zhao's fleet.

"the hunt for the Avatar has been given prime importance. all information regarding the Avatar must be reported directly to Admiral Zhao"

"Zhao has been promoted? well, good for him"

"i've got nothing to report to Zhao. now get off my ship and let us pass" Zuko spoke with annoyance.

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area"

"off my ship!"

"excellent! Hana takes the pot!" Iroh cheers while Hana excitedly grabs the stacks of tiles, "but you're all improving. i'm certain you will win if we play again"

the crew face palms as they lose once again. both Hana and Iroh have been the only ones to win. Iroh was a master at the game, but Hana had learned from her father, who she recently found out learned from Iroh himself.

as the sun was setting, Hana walked out into the outer deck to train, but halted when she saw Iroh and Zuko talking.

"don't give up hope yet. you can still find the Avatar before Zhao"

"how, uncle? with Zhao's resources it's just a matter of time before he captured the Avatar," Zuko turns to look out to the sea, "my honor, my throne, my country... I'm about to lose them all"

"that's why I'm here," Hana joined the conversation, making herself known by approaching Zuko, "let me help you find the Avatar, let me prove to you that you can trust me"

Zuko turned to her, his somber expression now serious, "how do you expect to do that?"

"I worked beside Zhao for months, so I know that there's a base on this island. it's where the Yu Yan archers train. if Zhao is here and is ordering ships to stay put, that must mean the Avatar is here too"

when put together like that, the whole situation made sense to Zuko. Zhao was always there as of late, somehow knowing where exactly the Avatar is. if what she says is true. then Zhao will most likely use the archers to capture the Avatar for him.

"what do you think, uncle?"

Iroh smiled softly, "I trust Hana. I know her father well, so I know that she has a kind and honest heart. if you do not trust her, trust me"

Zuko sighs, "i'll consider it," and with that he walks away.

Hana let out a breath of relief. she was able to get a little tear off of the wall there was between her and Zuko. soon enough, she would gain his full trust. it excited her to think about what it would be like to stay beside him for the rest of their journeys. a tiny part of her wished it would never end.

"my nephew will come around soon," Iroh spoke to her, placing a hand on her shoulder, "please treat him well, he needs someone like you to keep him going"

Hana was surprised at his words. Zuko needs her?

"I promise to support him in any way I can," she smiled towards the older man.

Iroh nodded, then noticed the casual training gear the girl had been wearing, "you're a firebender, yes?"

"yes, my father taught me. I can also wield a sword and i'm told I have good combat skills"

Iroh grinned, "as expected of Shun's daughter and a Navy soldier. you are very talented for someone of your age"

"thank you," Hana bowed her head to hide her red cheeks, "I began intense training so that I could be here to help Prince Zuko"

"you admire my nephew a lot, don't you?"

"I want to do whatever I can to protect him. I want to help him return home"

"and who will protect you?"

when Hana was silent at his question, Iroh chuckled, "he may not show it often, but my nephew does care for his crew. he will protect you too if you need it"

Hana's face turned even more red at the idea of Zuko protecting her one day. if she was in trouble, would be really save her like she would him? she doubts it would be at her level, but she enjoys the idea of it.