12. Blood Bond

Warm raindrops kissed Everett's neck. As he stirred awake, the horrifying shack in the woods of Nevermourn faded. Everett sighed in relief to see his familiar bedroom and reached out for Kieran beside him. Crimson streaked down the vampire's eyes, and he realized those tears were what he felt on his skin.

"You endured so much," Kieran whispered.

Everett nodded, mustering a response. "I can't believe I'd forgotten all that. Someone altered my memories, didn't they?"

"Yeah, but I undid their work." Kieran wiped at his own face, cleaning the blood-stained tears. "How are you feeling? Do you need anything?"

"I remember it all now." Everett sniffled, wiping at his rheumy eyes. "They buried the remains of those children in the basement. Their souls were stuck with them forever. Vampires took pity on us, wanting to help, but that was part of the trick. Those hunters weren't human or simply wizards."

"No, they were dhampirs. It's common practice to eat the hearts of other vampires to gain their strengths. Very archaic tradition."

"How could I summon a demon like that?" Everett asked softly, voice catching in his throat.

"I've never witnessed a child perform such a thing, but then, only you could see the ghosts of those kids. You've got a special talent for communicating with the dead and the damned, I'd assume."

Everett frowned. "It should've been impossible."

"Wizards unlock their magic at young ages I believe, and I assume yours came early due to such a distressing situation. I've seen it happen back home. Wizards or mages channel potent magic as a last defense against evil. It feeds off your emotions."

"I suppose that makes sense." Everett nodded. "But I wonder what that has to do with this amulet." He lifted the glowing gem. "Do you think it contains my own magic?"

"I'd assume so." A small smile formed. "Probably a precaution to keep you from overusing your magic after letting such dark energy into your body. So you wouldn't harm yourself or someone else. You helped murder those vampire hunters in cold-blood, deservingly so, but not many wield the magic or strength to do such a thing."

"Maybe that's why someone altered my memories to make me forget it?" Everett climbed out of bed. "Come on, let's pay Rowena another visit. I don't think I'll be able to sleep much after that."

Dizziness made him stumble. Everett blinked a few times, willing his throbbing head to quit spinning the room around. Kieran was quick on his feet to keep him from falling to the floor like a fool.

"You need to rest. Both your body and mind are recuperating," Kieran explained. "I took quite a bit of blood from you to do that, I'm sorry."

Everett relaxed in Kieran's arms, letting him guide him back down onto the bed. "It's okay," he assured him. "Thank you."

"I'm glad those fuckers are dead." Hatred gleamed in the vampire's darkened eyes.

"Me too."

"And whoever else is trying to hurt you, I won't spare them mercy."

A smile ghosted Everett's face. "I know you won't. Until I'm rested enough to travel, will you stay with me?"

"Of course." Kieran gently took his hand in his, kissing his wrist.

"Why do you do that?" Everett asked.

"Vampires do this to the mortals they care for. It's like a prayer, in a way. As we don't have our own Gods, we vow to protect ourselves and each other. My mother did so often with my father, before he died."