27

The phone rings on Anthony's desk. He picks it up, saying "Alpha James, Golden Moon Pack....of course, your majesty....sorry, Orion....a three way call is perfect, should I put it on speaker?....No problem."

Pressing the speakerphone button, he puts the handset back on it's cradle and presses his finger to his lips, signaling me to be quiet. My father's voice comes from the speaker.

"I have Dale Reede here, wanting to discuss the terms of the royal Challenge he found on his door this morning, Anthony. Do you have time?"

"That's ALPHA Dale Reede, your majesty," Dale says sneeringly.

"Red Claw is not a recognized pack, Mr. Reede, and isn't likely to be." Says my father. "Until such time as you lead a RECOGNIZED pack, you're not entitled to be called Alpha "

"Well, then, looks like I'll be called Alpha in about a month." He answers.

"Over my dead body" Anthony growls, making Dale laugh.

"As a matter of fact, it will be. Yours and that slut you took from me."

"That's enough," My father roars. "Only two combatants will be involved in this challenge. There will be no deaths involved other than that of the losing party, IF the victor chooses. Now, according to the law, Mr. Reede, in the event you or your opponent surrenders during the challenge, the victor has the right to show mercy. However, if you should be granted mercy, Mr Reede, you face life imprisonment for treason."

"I understand, your majesty." Dale says, "However, I want one small detail added to this agreement. If I win, I get Golden Moon Pack. It's only fair, since Alpha James gets Red Claw if I lose."

"Anthony, do you agree to that?" My father asks.

I frantically shake my head at Anthony, mouthing "no!", As he states clearly, "I agree."

"Ok, then." Says my father, "next items on the agenda are the location and time. Any preferences?"

"There is a barren field on the border of Golden Moon and Mr Reede's territory." Anthony suggests. "It should suit our purposes. I have a Mate Ceremony for a close friend early in the day, so I'd prefer we set the time for sunset"

"I agree to that." Dale says "Only one more request on my side: limited witnesses. Only the combatants, any mates, and perhaps your Beta and the Royal family. I plan on coming with just my new mate."

"As long as you don't object to you both being searched at the border, and double guards along our territory border for the duration of the challenge." Anthony replies, "I don't think that will be a problem."

"If everyone is agreed to the terms, I can have my secretary draw them up, and have them delivered to you, Anthony, for your signature." My father offers. "Once you've signed, you'll need to contact Mr. Reede to send an envoy to collect them for his signature. He'll then return them to you, so you can send them back to me for my signature and Seal, and then I'll messenger copies for both of you back to Anthony."

"Why can't Anthony send one of his pack members to me to have them signed and take them back?" Dale asks.

"All offense meant, Mr. Reede, I don't trust you." Anthony sneers. "You're more than welcome to come to the border and I'll leave the papers there with an envoy for your signature, but my pack members will not be entering your territory."

"Fine with me, just tell me when and where to be." Dale laughs. "I don't want my pack members on your territory, either."

"IF everything is settled, I'll disconnect this call so Mr. Reede and the Crown Champion can continue their training." My father huffs, annoyed.

"Of course, Orion," Anthony says, as I dial my mother's private line from the phone on my desk. "Mr. Reede, I'll see you in the challenge arena in a month."

"You sure will," Dale laughs before hanging up.

Anthony hangs up as well, as my mother answers her phone.

"That was almost too easy," my father grumbles. "The only odd thing he asked for was limited witnesses."

"Can we have guards specially trained in scenting any and all poisons that affect werewolves set on the border?" I ask Anthony. "I have a feeling he's going to try something."

"It's possible he's lied to his pack about the purpose of the challenge, and doesn't want anyone to discover the truth." My mother suggests. "He may consider this new mate of his expendable if he wins, or easily controlled."

"I would suggest building an arena of some sort, if you have time," my father continues. "When you win, your territory will be larger, so it will be close to the middle. You can restructure the interior for ceremonies and such. I'll contact a sorceress I know, and have her place wards against warlock magic, and things like that on it.

"For the challenge, have clear walls between the arena and the witnesses. Have the sorceress enchant the lock and key of the door into the area, so only one key can open it."

"We can ask the sorceress to stay and add blessings to the wards after the challenge, for the future." Anthony looks pleased with this prospect. "We have a construction company within the pack, so I'll get them to start planning the arena tomorrow. When the sorceress gets here, I'll have her shield the area so it can't be seen from outside except for those who are warded against her shields, which we'll have her do, as well, if she's willing."

"Excellent ideas, all of them," my father praises. "Well, I do believe we've eaten this particular bird down to bones. Let's let things simmer a bit, and touch base when some of the others come home to roost."

"Alright, Father. We'll talk to you soon, and we'll see you in about a month," I tell him. "I love you."

"We love you too, son. Tell Archer we love him, and take care." My mother adds before hanging up.

"Well," exclaims Anthony, "That was an eventful morning. Let's grab some lunch and fill everyone in."