✰ 18 - cosmic embrace

I'm playing KYYS4's soundtrack on repeat as I'm writing this, and Kuch Baaki Hai is just so so painful on so many levels yaar! Each time I listen to it, ek naya wala vibe milta hai, so I recommend ki play Kuch Baaki Hai as you read this part! 

Bas itna hi kehna tha, now drumroll!

Dhruv

I was awakened from my enchantment in the acoustic world, by a loud series of claps. The lounge room had been dimmed creating the perfect setting for a live solo performance, in the comforts of darkness. Facing crowds for me was still nerve-wracking, but over the years I had become more used to compromising my fear for a means of an outlet.

And music had become my only outlet. Once upon a time, I had my ever-lasting friends to rely on, mainly my big brother who I looked up to in regards to everything, especially his vocal mannerisms and the ease at which he would communicate eloquently with others. Till date, I cannot make a full sentence that I can say out loud to someone without stammering or stuttering. But with music, I could.

I took the applause in stride, definitely feeling more accomplished today with Manik around to watch me perform, in a way proud to exhibit my talents in front of my big brother. Cabir and Manik's entire band was playing here prior to my arrival, perhaps practicing their bit for tomorrow's performance. Once I had made my entrance, they coaxed me into playing one of my pieces for them in the hotel's private lounge on the first floor.

I was packing my guitar back into my bag, when I felt a pat. "Bro, you should come play with us tomorrow," Alexandro who was one of the secondary guitarists in their band suggested in a jolly fashion, breaking the ice between us. "No, I'm serious, I can even trade you my spot for a small fee," He chuckled, as he congratulated me with a bro-handshake.

Manik jumped in on the other side of Alex, wrapping his arm around his shoulder, "He can pay you with a spectacular drink indeed, what say Dhruv?" I smiled at them both, complying silently by making my way to the bar on my right.

The lounge was such a beautiful and luxurious space. To the right, it opened into a mini bar, enclosed in a glass chamber behind which remained the hotel pool. I scrounged it for the best liquors in the stash.

"So impressive," I heard from somewhere behind me. A woman behind the bar table was leaning over it, elbows on the counter, showcasing her shoulders and cleavage through the black scoop neck dress she was wearing. I met her eyes, but found it hard to maintain contact.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Manik glancing at me every now and then accompanied by a thoroughly speechless Cabir who probably never imagined something of this magnitude to happen with me right before his eyes.

She took the opportunity to slowly walk around the table towards me. "Your vocal variety is so fluid, so are your strokes..." She drew a curve from the end of my eyebrow to the corner of my lips. My skin flushed, and I consciously exhaled, unaware of how long I was holding onto my breath. Smirking at the reaction, she added in a murmur, "...you really know your way around a guitar,"

And then unexpectedly, her hand dropped to the space between us. She extended her hand out, "I'm Rita Rose, you can call me Rose," I hesitated, wondering if I gave her any indications that I was either too interested, or not interested at all. Either of those would mean bad news to me. Shake her hand Dhruv, what's the worst that can happen?

I wiped my fingers within my palm, checking if they were sweaty before raising it from my side to fill the handshake. "Hi Rose..." I gulped. "Dhruv,"

"Hmm, why don't you make me a drink I'd like?" Sure, I wanted to say out loud, but ended up mumbling. I scrambled the necessary shakers and measuring cups together and pulled out a Midori, filling one of the jiggers.