✰ 34 - to fix you

8 October 2010

Like a caged bird, I paced back and forth in my room with some packets of Indian outfits in my arms, replacing them from the bed to the cupboard in a cyclic manner. Choosing an outfit should not be this difficult, Aiyappa!

I heard the door latch behind me, and a thud on the door. I sprung on my feet at the sound only to see Manik resting on the door with his ankles and arms crossed, "What are your plans for the evening?" He asked with no hint of amusement or smile.

Flinging the packet on the bed, I bridged the gap, flapping my arms. "Manik, how did you – did you speak to Cabir?"

"Great! Jis cheez ke liye aaya woh toh ab milne se raha..."

I heard him mutter an incorrigible phrase under his breath while rubbing the bridge of his nose, forcing me to ask, "What?"

He leaped off the door while clearing his throat, backing me by a few steps by how swift he was. "What's there to talk about? He didn't trust us, that's it."

"You can't just leave it like that, he's your best friend!"

"If you haven't noticed already then let me tell you... I – am – angry – at him!" Manik's hands were hovering between us as if he held a boulder between them when he flicked them as a motion of explanation. It wasn't fair, Cabir was already upset from the happenings Harshad caused and the only thing he probably wanted in that weak moment was the comforting presence of his friends.

Why was Manik not grasping that amidst all his anger? Why was he nearly neglecting the boy whose whole life ripped before his eyes?

Perhaps he was not thinking along those lines at all, blinded by his frustration. What else was I for?

"That's even more of a reason why you both need to talk it out, Manik. Hear his side, talk about yours..."

He shook his head as if I could never understand. "Tch Nandini, it's... Fab 5, we're not like that. We've known each other for so so long, our bond is..." He paused and I nodded, eagerly waiting for him to voice his concerns. "I can't explain it to you..." He said exasperatedly and my face fell. As if noticing, he took a deep breath and tried to formulate it better. "We... we never had to keep secrets from each other... lie to each other..."

As his face was lit by the soft sunbeam cascading through my window, a meek purple bruise that I had not paid attention to danced on his forehead, the centre hidden by a thin tiny white tape. "Wait wait..." Closing the distance, I impulsively stroked the spot. "What's this?"

Manik nearly hissed but held it in. "It's nothing, I – I have to go now."

As he turned, I held his forearm and restrained him, blocking his path. "Manik, show me." He resisted further, and with all my might I somehow womanhandled him to my bed, plopping him to a reasonable height so I could study it.

He obediently followed, possibly liking the attention he was garnering. I felt the perimeter of the bruise again, this time wincing myself as I touched it. Manik stared at me absently, a small smile playing on his lips as two arms warmly secured themselves to my waist while I was engrossed. "How did this happen?" My tone was strict although the concern was very evident.

Manik's silence was proof that he went back and forth with himself about whether or not to divulge that information. "In the fight yesterday with Harshad..."

"He hit you too?" I asked with big wide eyes.

He almost laughed sardonically. "You thought I was a monster, didn't you, when you saw that bastard bleeding?" I winced at his choice of words but if Manik misinterpreted it for something else, that would be no surprise too. He steeled his grip, maneuvering me to face him. "I saw the look in your eyes, the look of disappointment." He snapped, and I reluctantly looked away.