17

LOOKING IN YOUR EYES SEEING ALL I NEED

━━━━━━━━━━━━

                 They had practiced tirelessly for three consecutive days, then rested for four days before plunging back into their rigorous routine. The pattern of their practice was consistent, but Sunghoon couldn't help but notice the shift in Heeseung's demeanor. His once-talkative and open skater had become a silent, distant figure, lost in a world of his own. It was unsettling, like a storm brewing beneath a calm surface. Sunghoon knew something was amiss and waited for Heeseung to confide in him, as he had always done in the past when something troubled him.

As they resumed their practice, Sunghoon couldn't ignore the fact that Heeseung wasn't following his instructions as he usually did. He was confused as to why, and he decided it was time to address the issue.

"Heeseung? What was that?" Sunghoon asked, his tone laced with concern as Heeseung paused, looking at him, and took deep breaths, searching for the right words.

Heeseung chuckled nervously, taking a sip from his water bottle. "Ah, I just wanted to try my own style, Coach, like what I did last month. You know, do something new?"

Sunghoon's worry deepened. "I told you not to. You might get hurt, and those moves are crucial for winning."

"Yeah, I know, Coach, but it wouldn't hurt to see what my capabilities can do, right? You've never doubted me before."

Sunghoon's patience began to wane, and his voice grew firmer. "I never doubted you for anything, and you know that."

Heeseung persisted, a hint of desperation in his voice. "But is it worth trying? If I added a little flair to it? Please?"

Sunghoon's tone took on a sharper edge. "We tried that once, and you nearly got yourself hurt. You know how cautious I am when it comes to your safety on that rink."

But Heeseung's frustration boiled over, his voice rising as he clenched his teeth. "Just have faith in me this time—"

"Heeseung—"

"Why are you trying so hard to make me look like you?!" Heeseung's shout reverberated through the rink, his anger surfacing unexpectedly. His mind churned with unease, the words pouring out like a torrent. "I am not you!"

Sunghoon took a deep breath, fighting to regain his composure. "I'm not molding you to become me. I'm striving to help you become the best version of yourself."

Heeseung's voice trembled with emotion. "Every step and every move I make in that arena, they remind them of you, not me, Sunghoon. I know you're the revered Park Sunghoon, the Ice Knight. I know how people admire you and your grace on the ice. I made a promise, but that promise doesn't mean living in your shadow, replicating and duplicating what you do." Heeseung's words hung heavy in the air, a confession he had never dared to voice before.