Two

He was reluctant.

The moment his friends had shown him the location of the place they were to stay in for the summer, he already knew he was not going to agree to it without convincing. It made sense, anyway. Why would Reo Mikage, a boy who could spend his entire summer having fun on cruises and 5-star hotels, choose to spend his summer in a tiny, cabin resort on top of a snowy mountain?

Reo stepped out of the wooden porch, hands in his pocket as he let out a frozen breath. His purple eyes scanned the area, trying to figure out what exactly made the (L/n) family decide they wanted to spend their entire life in this desolate place.

As far as he knew, the mountain lay in snow permanently. Why choose that over an urban life?

He lifted one foot off the thick snow, admiring how deep it had gone despite barely being off the porch. He recalled characters in TV shows laying on the ground during winter and making snowmen. What was strange was how he felt tempted to imitate them.

He crouched down, fingers unconsciously outstretched to touch the snow.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Mikage. I hope I'm not interrupting you."

The purple-haired boy instantly got to his feet, feeling ashamed that he was caught in such a vulnerable position.

"I, uh- how can I help you, Ms. (L/n)?" He cleared his throat.

(Y/n) let out a small giggle, raising her hands which held a wooden caddy of tea and matcha mochi. "Apologies for the delay, Mr. Mikage, but here is your tea."

"Oh," Reo said. "I thought Isagi convinced you that it was not needed."

"Well, I convinced him to not try and convince me." (Y/n) shrugged. "Where would you like me to place your tea?"

"The floor would be fine." Reo sat on the porch stairs and patted the place next to him. "I'll make sure to compensate you for the snack later."

"Oh no, no." (Y/n) shook her head, placing the caddy on the spot he wanted it on. "Acts of hospitality are a part of the vacation package."

"Hm, fair enough." Reo shrugged. He took his cup of tea, held it in both of his hands, then sipped.

The moment the hot liquid made contact with his tongue, his eyes widened. The texture was so smooth and the herby taste was not so potent that it was unpleasant. The tea was so creamy and flavorful that it sent tingles down his fine.

"This tea... What is it?" he asked. "It's very good."

"Is that so?" (Y/n)'s eyes sparkled. "Well, I'm glad to tell you that the tea is made specially by yours truly. Despite the harsh conditions of this mountain, our greenhouse can shelter the best herbs and spices."

"You know how to make tea?"

"I know how to make lots of things from scratch." (Y/n) smiled. "I don't have much to do every day other than brew, cook, and bake."

"I see." Reo nodded. "I understand that sentiment to an extent. Why don't you take a seat?" He gestured for the open spot next to him.

(Y/n) obliged happily and pushed the plate of mochi towards him. "Have some. I baked them this morning."

Reo took a piece and bit into it, a feeling of delight surging through his entire body. "Delicious. I would not have expected any less from you after drinking that tea, Ms. (Y/n)."

"Why thank you."

"Though I'd like to ask," Reo added, eyeing her clothing which he had only noticed was strangely out of place. "Do you not feel cold?"

(Y/n) looked down to observe her outfit which consisted only of a white, long-sleeved shirt and black pants. "No." She shook her head. "I'm a winter child down to the bone. The cold doesn't bother me as much as the heat would."

"Interesting," Reo hummed, taking another bite of his mochi. "Do you ever get tired of this life?" He asked.

He had no idea why he suddenly decided to ask such a question. Perhaps he was simply curious as to how the girl fared in unusual living conditions. If she, too, wanted something more than the life her parents gave her, then he would have someone he could relate to.

"Sometimes, yes." The girl shrugged. "But you get used to it eventually. I should be grateful for what I have than desire something I can't have."

"I disagree." Reo looked at her, his tone catching her by surprise. "I think it's very healthy to desire something more."

"Is that so?" (Y/n) chuckled, returning his gaze. "I wish I had the liberty to follow such ideals."

"I can see why. This place is only good for vacations. I cannot imagine having to spend the rest of your life here." Reo shook his head. "Do you ever wish to escape?"

"Mr. Mikage, with your parents constantly looming over you and watching everything you do, do you think you'd still have the energy within you to plan an escape?"

"I see." Reo sighed, looking away. "Then, you and I are more alike than you think."

(Y/n) stared at her feet, pulling her legs to her chest. "You're from a wealthy family, right? Mikage Corporations?"

"So you've heard." Reo nodded. "Yes. I am the heir of Mikage Corporations."

"Isn't that wonderful," (Y/n) said. "You have your whole life reassured and planned out."

"Exactly." Reo heaved. "I have my whole life planned out. But I am the type of person who wants to be free."

"I see. Then, you must have lots of collisions with your parents."

"Yeah." Reo placed his teacup down and got up, throwing his arms open. "It's always 'Reo, you should go to this prestigious college and be the best you can be' or 'Reo, you should marry the daughter of the most influential family' but never 'Reo, be the world's best striker'."

"Mhmm, parents, am I right?" (Y/n) said amusingly. "And I assume you actively go against their wishes?"

His chest puffed up as passion oozed from his being. He did not expect himself to reveal his past so easily, yet here he was, expressing his greatest disdain to Isagi's childhood friend.

"Of course, and I am succeeding at it," Reo smirked. He placed one foot on the porch step next to her and got a little too close to her face. "That's why, Ms. (L/n), I look forward to seeing you do the same. Spread your wings and be free."

(Y/n) laughed wholeheartedly, holding a hand out against his shoulder and gently pushing him away. "What a lovely spirit you have there, Mr. Mikage. Unfortunately, this bird cannot spread her wings and fly yet."

"Yet."

"Yes, yet." (Y/n) nodded as she slowly rose. "Once I've proven to my parents I can take over the business... I'll make it stable enough that I can go do what I want."

"Then you're more ambitious than I thought!" Reo said excitedly. "You know, Ms. (L/n), I wondered what Isagi liked so much about you, but I'm starting to see why now."

"And what is that?"

"You're bubbling with positivity and hope. Not to mention you make such good tea. It's a shame you'll have to waste half of your life holding your wings from taking off."

Truly, he felt frustrated on her behalf. He never knew that such a soul with an equal desire to be free as he existed. He saw himself in her and he wanted her to achieve the things he did. He wanted her to see the joy of being free.

"Yes, a shame indeed." (Y/n) nodded. "And I hear my parents arriving back from the store. I should go attend to them."

"It's a shame you must go so soon, but I will let you be." Reo waved her off. "I look forward to our next conversation, Ms. (L/n)." He sat back down and took another sip of his tea.

(Y/n) laughed at his response and waved. "Hope the tea helps to soothe your muscles, Mr. Mikage. You deserve it."