Home

Valery

The next morning, I make breakfast while Eve and Carry are still passed out on the couch. It's too early for me to be awake, but I was getting tired of lying on Carry's bed and staring at the ceiling. I thought Trav was just being a baby, but I really couldn't sleep without him. It's insane how attached I've become in just two weeks.

I'm flipping pieces of french toast when my phone dings with a new message. I glance at it in case it's Travis, but see Sandy sent me a picture. After placing the turner onto the counter, I open the message to see a sneaky picture of Trav staring at the ceiling angrily, but what makes me laugh is that he's not in our bed, but is instead in Trev's. Trev is curled up around him, mouth open and arms and legs wrapped around his brother like a baby koala.

Moving out of the message from Sandy after telling her how cute they are, I open Trav's contact and press the call button. It rings for only a moment before he answers.

"Good morning, sweetness."

"Morning, sweets. Did you sleep okay?"

Trav groans and there's a shuffle and a second more distant groan. "Not a wink. But I'll take a nap when you get back. How did you sleep?"

"I would have an answer to that question if I had slept."

"Well then you better get back home quick so we can both take a nap."

My heart lurched at that word. Home. I don't know if I had ever had a real home before. It's nice to finally feel grounded somewhere.

"Who is it, Trav?" A muffled voice asks.

There's a muffled smack and groan. "Shut up, I'm trying to talk to my girl."

"Is that Trev?" I ask, smiling to myself and nestling my phone into my shoulder to resume breakfast.

There's some shuffling and grunting until Trev's voice comes over the line. "Hi, Val!"

"Good morning, Trev."

"Did you have fun without my fun sucker of a brother?"

There's some more shuffling and I laugh softly.

"Who are you talking to?" A gravelly voice groans from behind me. "Is that big brother one?"

Eve is sitting up from the couch, squinting at me with bleary eyes. Her blond curls look like a lion's mane around her head and she looks a little green around the gills.

"Not sure if it's going to be one or two. They're fighting."

Eve sighs. "Why are they such idiots?"

Growling is now coming through my phone, so I put it on speaker and pull the picture Sandy sent me up.

"But you have to come see this," I tell her and place my phone on the counter. While Eve crawls off the couch, I resume making breakfast.

When she finally shuffles into the kitchen, she coos at my phone. "Aw, they're so cute."

"Aren't they?"

Suddenly, there's a shrill scream from my phone. Carry startles awake with a snort and slams onto the floor. Eve and I laugh as she groans.

"Hi, sweetness."

"Big brother one, what did you do to big brother two?"

Trav snickers. "Nothing he didn't deserve."

With a soft smile, I take my phone off speaker and hold it to my ear while I plate the finished french toast. "What are you going to do until I get home?"