𝟬𝟬𝟱⠀ ⠀ a cut that always bleeds

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.
A Cut That Always Bleeds

     Though the sky was dark with midnight, the events of this day in Driftmark were far from over

     Daenaera could not have predicted the situation that lay forth for her to walk in on; a change she had foreseen, yes, but not one such as grave as this one.

     When her Grandsire collected her from her rooms, her grandmother, Rhaenys, met them in the corridor outside. As they began their swift walk, the woman lay a hand upon Daenaera's back, either to give comfort or to hurry her small footsteps — she did not know. The Princess couldn't help but wonder on their short journey where they were headed to, and especially why she hadn't been collected by her House's personal guards. Her future self soon figured, however, that they all had been preoccupied by the dire need of tending to the sons of the Heir, and the forgotten daughter had been remembered by the people she thought would've been the last.

Even if she had mustered every ounce of strength before the doors to the common hall opened, there was nothing that could've prepared her for the sight she was about to behold.

     At first, Daenaera could not see anything but bodies - bystanders and guards alike - lingering around, trying desperately to inquire nosily closer to the commotion in the middle of the room. It wasn't until she, ( her small frame cushioned between her grandparents ) Rhaenys and Corlys, had excused themselves past the busybodies to where they were needed most, that Daenaera had to pause, both in shock and confusion, to gather herself.

Rhaenys had immediately marched towards her two granddaughters, questioning them on the situation at hand, Baela and Rhaena's voices overlapping to explain the incident; their grandfather, Corlys, instead demanded answers, moving to the guards standing in the centre of the rooms, hoping for an explanation. And that was when Daenaera saw her younger brothers, blood caking their faces while dirt and dust had weaved itself into their dark hair and settled upon their skin; they looked nothing like the young, fresh princes they had mere hours before.