𝟬𝟬𝟰⠀ ⠀ calm before the storm

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR.
Calm Before The Storm

     The day that Rhaenyra Targaryen and her family received the news that their faraway relative, the Lady Laena, had unfortunately died, her unborn child with her, they had already predicted the dire news by form of the dismal and sombre weather

    The Gods often signified their emotions by form of whatever climate they deemed fit, or so the children had been told. So when the late night crashing of waves against the rocks had accompanied Laenor Velaryon's cries of grief, or when the early morning rain became a comforting backdrop to Rhaenyra gathering her children to inform them of the terrible news, Daenaera Velaryon chose to believe the Gods were aware of their despondency, and shared it.

     They had yet to fully settle within the confines of their new home; Dragonstone was a large and intimidating place, one that demanded weeks of exploration to truly admire and respect its enormity and depth. It was a testament to how little time they had spent there that Daenaera had not even ventured to the library, a place she always found comfort in no matter the location. By the time the report of their Aunt's death arrived upon them, the children of Rhaenyra Targaryen knew they were to be uprooted once more to go and pay their respects.

     After being informed of their travel plans, Daenaera was also pleasantly surprised by the announcement that her dragon would be accompanying them to Driftmark, along with Syrax and Seasmoke; they were the only three dragons large enough to fly in attendance. Daenaera had felt only the smallest bit of guilt for her two younger brothers as they squabbled about not being allowed to bring their own dragons, but it was soon overpowered by pride when she caught sight of Rhaegon after embarking to see him before he took flight. The wind had switched to a low breeze by the time Daenaera had arrived to where the dragons were kept and the land beyond, her own busying himself by feasting on sheep; already a pile of deceased carcasses had been picked clean and discarded to the side of him.

   Rhaegon — despite the size of him — was a very aware and attentive dragon: a sign attesting to this happening moments before, for Rhaegon knew his rider was in his company before he even lay eyes upon her ( being distracted by his food and all ). Spotting her in the far distance as he lifted his head, he left his half eaten meal abandoned in front of him as he moved forward ever so slightly, lowering his head for Daenaera when she arrived in his vicinity. The action had only one result, and that was obvious once she came upon his presence, lifting her hand to stroke the side of his face; his scales were both simultaneously rough and smooth to the touch. Humorously, her entire body, still small at the fruitful age of ten, was only a minuscule sight compared to her dragon; a twinge of discomfort laced its way up her neck as she had to crane her head all the way back to view Rhaegon in his entirety, and even then that wasn't enough.