1

Third POV

"Why won't you give me a chance, Haerin?"

"I just don't like you in that way. You've been my best friend since birth, Minji and it'll always stay that way. Plus, you know Danielle and I have something going on, I don't know why you would tell me this now." The cat-eyed girl rolled her eyes as she put her shoes on and picked up her backpack.

"I don't expect you to feel the same, but I thought you should at least know. I've liked you since that day you fell off our treehouse when we were five and you broke your arm... you wouldn't let me go inside to call for help because you only wanted me to stay by your side and I had to hold you until you fell asleep. Something sparked inside of me in that moment and over the years, my feelings for you kept growing— I couldn't hold it in anymore, Haerin-ah." Minji passionately said, her eyes never breaking contact with the shorter girl.

"We'll keep those feelings to yourself from now on. Danielle has been suspicious of our relationship lately, I don't want her to get the wrong idea." Haerin took a few steps towards the door, but Minji grabbed her arm and pulled her back to face her.

"Are you serious? I just poured my heart out to you, you of all people should know how difficult that was for me! But why am I surprised, you can't go a second without mentioning Danielle." Minji bitterly chuckled as she released her grip on Haerin.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I'm fine with you not reciprocating my feelings, I can move on from that, but what I can't tolerate is how you've been acting for the last month— ever since you've met Danielle. It's like I don't exist in your world anymore, all you want to do is spend time with her."

"Jeez, stop acting like a jealous girlfriend. I can't help who I like Minji, you're exactly in the same boat. We've been stuck to each other like glue for the past fourteen years, why is it so bad for me to want to hangout with someone else? Text me when you get your emotions in check or don't bother at all."

Minji scoffed, "You're such an asshole."

"If I'm 'such an asshole' then why do you like me? No- why are you still friends with me?" Haerin's gaze pierced through Minji.

"You're right. If you want to be with Danielle so much then go. I won't stand in your way, but don't come back to me when things don't work out." Minji said in the coldest voice she has ever used in her life.

The room was silent as the two girls were shocked at the words that came out of the older's mouth. Is their longtime friendship really over just because of one person?

Haerin didn't respond back. She just turned around and left her now ex- best friend's house. Minji slammed her door and got in her bed as tears started to fall from her eyes.

How did this happen? She knew the younger wouldn't like her back, but she had a glimpse of hope that maybe she was wrong. In the end, she knew she shouldn't have said anything at all. She should've just kept smiling through the pain and been a supportive friend as usual.

"You're such an idiot, Minji."

-

It's been three years since the two girls have last spoken to each other. Neither faced the other to resolve their issues, mainly because of their pride. The first week of not talking was hard for them both, but after that, they got used to it and continued their lives as if they were strangers.

Minji walked into her classroom and sat down at an empty seat by the windows.

"Minji unnie!" A tall girl ran up to her, giving her a tight hug.