5

Minji's POV

I haven't seen Haerin in a couple of days, I figured she was avoiding me because of that text I had sent her a few nights ago.

"Hey Danielle, do you know where Haerin is? She hasn't been in class since Monday." I asked the younger Australian girl. She leaned back in her chair and stared at me intensely before the corner of her lip curled up. Is it just me or does she not like me? I've hardly ever even spoken to the girl...

"I'm not sure, I think she wants some time alone. I'll let you know if I hear from her, though!" Danielle gave me her famous smile and I nodded, walking back to my seat.

Haerin's also ignoring Danielle? I hope nothing bad had happened to her. I'm supposed to have dinner at her place tomorrow night, but I think I'll have to go over today to see if she's okay.

-

When the school ended, I hopped in my car and drove home, but stop by a florist on the way so I wouldn't be empty handed when meeting Haerin's mom.

I park in my driveway and walked over to the Kang's residence. As I was about to knock on their door, it suddenly swung open and I was met with the owner of the house.

"Oh my, Minji! It's been a long time since you've came over, you've grown up so much!" The surprised woman examined me from head to toe.

"Yes, it's been a while since I've last seen you. I hope you don't mind that I came a day early... I wanted to check on Haerin."

Ms. Kang's face dropped and she took a deep breath, "Haerin hasn't been attending school lately because... she's being bullied. I don't know how long it has been going on for, but I walked into her room last week and saw bruises all over her arms, back, legs—" Her voice was starting to shake, but she continued, "When I asked her about it, she told me it was an accident and that the bruises don't hurt and to not worry, but they haven't gotten any better. I wanted to take her to the hospital to get them treatedC but she was resilient and said something about not wanting to get the girls in trouble. I still don't know who they are... I have a feeling this isn't the first time it's happened."

I was in total shock, I didn't know what to say. Who the hell would do this to Haerin and why. I felt like a terrible friend for not knowing about this.

"You must think I'm an awful mother who doesn't know what's going on in her daughter's life. She's always been good at hiding things and only ever wears clothes that covers her skin, I guess that was a clue. If I hadn't caught her on that day, I'm not sure that I would've anytime soon." Ms. Kang was full on crying now. I brought us inside and set down the flowers on the counter.

"No, you're a great mother, trust me. As long as you're here for her now, that's all it matters." I gave her a hug, feeling sorry for her. She is one of the best people in this world, I've always wished that I was born as her daughter instead of to my unfit parents.

"Do you mind if I go up to see Haerin?" I asked, pulling away from the hug. Ms. Kang wiped the tears from her face and nodded.

"Of course, I'll start making dinner." As I took a few steps up the stairs, the older woman stopped me and I turned my head around to look down at her.

"Thank you, Minji. Haerin is very lucky to have someone like you."

I gave her a light smile and continued walking up the stairs until I reached the cat-eyed girl's door. My heart was pounding, I'm not sure why.

I softly knocked on her door, only to not get a response in return.

"Haerin-ah, it's Minji. Can I come in?"

Still no answer. Maybe she's sleeping.

Just as I was about to go back downstairs, I heard the doorknob turn.

Haerin stood in front of me. She looked tired. Her eyes were red and puffy and she was paler than usual. There were a million things I wanted to say and ask in that moment, but I couldn't get a single word out. Instead, I hugged her. I embraced her so tightly that I never wanted to let go.

Unfortunately, I did because she winced almost immediately under my touch.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry." I freaked out, not wanting to hurt her even more if what her mother said about the bruises were true.

"I'm okay." She whispered.

Haerin grabbed onto my sweater and lightly tugged me into her room. We sat down on her bed with neither of us saying anything. My eyes traveled down to her legs and I saw a couple of patches of blue and green bruises covering them.

"Haerin-ah... w-who did this to you?"

She tried to move her legs out of view from me and tried to hide them with her arms, which was impossible since she was wearing shorts.

I sat closer to her and grasps her hands, giving them a small squeeze.

"Minji, don't. I don't want to talk about it." Haerin had her usual cold expression on, but I could see through her facade and could tell that she was hurt and scared. I might not always know what she's thinking, but I'm sure she needs someone by her side right now.

I sighed, "Okay, I won't force you to. Just remember that I'm here for you, alright? Anytime and anywhere, you can count on me, Kang Haerin."

I gave her a reassuring smile. She stared at me with her teary and swollen eyes. Even at this state, she still looks beautiful. She then put her head on my shoulder while playing with my fingers. We sat comfortably in that position with silence between us.

If I ever find out who the culprit is, I will make sure to pay them back ten folds for the shit they did to Haerin.

"Relax." Haerin mumbled.

"Huh?" She tilted her head up to meet my gaze.

"Your hands were forming into a fist."

"Oh sorry." I awkwardly said, not noticing how angry my thoughts were making me.

"Thank you, Minji."

"Hmm, for what?"

"For being so sweet even after everything." She suddenly kissed my cheek.

My eyes widened. Is this a dream?

"Oh n-no problem." God, I have to stop stuttering. I don't even want to see myself in the mirror right now because I know I'm blushing really hard.

"You're cute." She giggled and laid her head on my chest, where my heart was aching and beating rapidly. Oh no... this feels familiar. Could it be? Do I like her again? Or have I never stopped liking her? Damn it, what are you doing to me, Haerin?