[ The heart of a fox ]

Ferns and sunlight brushed Onyxhearts fur as she silently leapt across the stones that pathed the stream

Ferns and sunlight brushed Onyxhearts fur as she silently leapt across the stones that pathed the stream. In front of her, Lynxpaw was dropping into a hunters crouch, ready to pounce. Onyxheart had been assessing Lynxpaw, her apprentice, since sunhigh, and she was relieved when Lynxpaw looked up at the sky, nodded proudly at her pile of prey, and trotted back towards the clearing.

"Lynxpaw, you got so much!" Wolfpaw exclaimed as the two she-cats trotted over the stones, into the sunlit passage. Half listening to her apprentices conversation, she trotted over to Goldenflake, describing the details of the hunt.
"-that just about concludes it." She finished.
"Well, Onyxheart, it seems your first apprentice is ready to become a warrior!" Goldenflake whispered, her eyes shining. I hope that 'my first apprentice' means I'll be getting another soon! She thought to herself, running through an eternal list of kits in her head. Cobblekit seems like he'd feint at the sight of blood, let alone fight, but Brightkit never listens... maybe when Honeyheart has her kits.
She knew she was getting ahead of herself, but the idea of going without an apprentice after moons of Lynxpaw's questions was enough to make her shiver.
"If you want to spend time with Lynxpaw before her ceremony, you should go now, before Wolfpaw spirits her away on another adventure." The deputy suggested, flicking her tail at the two. Onyxheart frowned. She knew she wasn't in charge of Lynxpaws life, but Wolfpaw was such a fox heart!
"I'll go, thank you." She mewed.

"Lynxpaw, come walk with me?" She called as she approached the two apprentices, giggling and walking. Lynxpaw nodded with a moment of hesitation, resting her tail on Wolfpaw's shoulder.
"Sure, where to?" She asked, trotting up beside her.
"I don't know. Let's just explore." Onyxheart replied, quickly leading her apprentice away from a lonely looking Wolfpaw.

Mist dissolved in the evening light all around them, melting into dew drops that speckled their pelt, like a translucent extra flank.
"So, what do you think my warrior name will be?" Lynxpaw asked after a moment of silence.
"I don't know. What do you think?"
"I don't know, that's why I asked you" she mewed with a grin. "Race you to the rock point!"
Onyxheart sighed and ran after Lynxpaw, her mind racing ahead of her and onto the rock that marked the place four territory's met. As they skidded to a stop at the large, pointed stone, (Lynxpaw won) Onyxheart put her paw over the fox like creature that marked the 'godess' of their clan. Although all four clans had a set god, goddess, or 'protector of the clan', Fernclan was by far the most mysterious. For starters, no one knew ANYTHING about their god, plus, she had no wings like the leaders and other gods.

She was known as Fox.