Prologue - Treasures

"Fletcher, stop laughing about!" Daniel groaned, turning around to glare at the boy behind her. Blythe Burns and Grayson Fletcher were shoving one another around. They were goofing off, when they should've been paying attention to the case at hand. "We've got a type two to deal with, stop." The brunette seethed, rolling her eyes as she turned back to the musty room in front of them.

"Do you feel the source, Aiken?" Lilith Kennedy, the team's supervisor, and the only adult present, placed a careful hand against the younger girl's shoulder and looked to her.

Daniel took a deep breath, closing her eyes and focusing in on her talents. Even with her eyes shut, she could see the bright death glow in the corner of the room, it was blinding. Though, at the same time, it didn't feel like it was from this floor. It felt like it was from the roof of the floor below, which only made it that much stranger. The girl walked forward, dragging her hand across the wall as she went. Daniel stopped, feeling a shot of pain run through her hand and all the way to her heart. She could sense it. Not specifically the source, not yet. But the spirit itself. "It's a. . .It's a poltergeist, I think." As if on cue with her words, the door behind the team slammed shut. Daniel's entire body temperature dropped, her blood running cold as ice. She heard overlapping voices, they were angry, scared. The words were unintelligible, bouncing off her skull like a hammer in a bell. She gasped, stumbling back from the wall. Her eyes shot open, looking around. "Something's wrong."

"Daniel, what do you mean? What's wrong?" Grayson looked down to the girl, his light and airy attitude dropping. He knew better than to distrust Daniel Aiken's instincts, they all did. She was too good at her job to second guess her. 

"They-" She froze, her eyes going wide as she saw six apparitions forming behind her team. Daniel drew her rapier, pushing in front of the other three.

"Oh, shit-" Blythe breathed out, drawing her own rapier. The four of them sliced through the spirits, warding them off temporarily.

"Find that damn source, Aiken!" Lilith shouted, her voice breaking. Daniel looked wearily between her teammates.

"Just go, for God's sake!" Grayson nodded, throwing a salt bomb at one of the poltergeists, and making it release a deafening shriek.

Daniel took a heavy breath, letting a tight nod slip. She returned her rapier to it's sheath, scrambling over to the wall. She slid both her hands on the old floral wallpaper. She tuned in, feeling the burning sensation increase as she got further from where her team were fighting off the poltergeists. She could hear the three yelling to one another. Yelling at her to hurry up. Daniel recognised the way her hands stung and smiled. The source. She was in the exact spot she had been originally drawn to, the place she had first stopped. She wanted to scold herself for not realising it sooner. Daniel looked down and saw an old dresser, the tracks rusty and probably would squeak when she tried to pull the drawers open.

"Daniel!"

The brunette snapped around at the sound of her teammate's cries. Her eyes went wide with tears when she saw Lilith grabbed by one of the phantoms, Grayson had been ghost locked, and Blythe was barely holding them off.

"I've almost got it, Burns!" Daniel turned back around, digging through the drawers of the old dresser. She nudged an old looking box, opening to find an array of fanciful jewelry and watches. They looked expensive. She saw flashes of a party, the members were lavish and happy. They were dancing in the main room that the Fittes team had just gone through downstairs, a ballroom. And then a candle fell over, the entire room engulfing in flames. Daniel felt a sharp heat race across her spine, burrowing itself deep against her nerves. Her knees buckled, knocking her to the ground. She hurried to pull the silver net from where she had tucked it into her belt, wrapping the book in it. She twisted around, smiling. "I got it! I got. . ." The brunette's smile fell, seeing that Blythe had impaled herself on her own rapier, blood trickling out of her mouth and pooling underneath her. Grayson was no longer ghost locked, instead his torso was sliced through, splitting him messily in half.