XXXI - A Trip and a Tug

"Sign that." Mr. Saunders flipped the page, tapping a line as Anthony scrawled out his signature on yet another form.

"There you go." Lockwood nodded softly, pulling the pen off the line.

"Lovely, thanks." Saunders smiled. 

Anthony looked back over to the team he left, his eyes falling on Daniel just beside him before finding George. . .and no Lucy. 

"Then I think we've got one here from-" Mr. Saunders started.

Lockwood scanned the area again, just to make sure before mumbling under his breath, "Where's she gone?" He sighed.

"Hmm?" Daniel perked up, looking over at her employer. "Where's who gone?" 

"The council, this one." Saunders finished his sentence. Lockwood looked back at the paperwork and signed his name once again. They must've gone through three or four more forms that Lockwood had to sign before him and Daniel went off. "Pleasure doing business with you, Mr. Lockwood." Mr. Saunders laughed with his words - he almost sounded conniving in his tone. 

Lockwood looked over the area, finding George standing awfully close to the source. "George, what are you doing? Don't cross the chain-" Anthony grabbed Daniel's hand and started pulling her toward the grave site just as George stepped into the circle they'd put up. 

"Locks, what's wrong?" She could see the worry and distaste on his face. 

"George is being stupid and Luce is. . .gone-" He scoffed, looking down at Daniel and slowing down a little for a second. "You're the only good one, Dans."

"That's just cause I'm tired - According to George, I'm usually a psychopath." She grinned, proud of her little 'conflict' with George. 

"Yes, yes, I'm aware." Lockwood smiled, rolling his eyes slightly as they continued walking toward George. They could hear the thermometers beeping, indicating a drop in the temperature. George slipped, gasping as he fell. Daniel's head snapped to attention as did Lockwood's and Daniel tried to pull from Lockwood's hand to run over to their fallen friend. But Anthony's grip held strong as he tugged her back against his chest. "George!" Lockwood pulled her around to behind him and started running toward the site. Daniel was right on his tail, not letting him leave her the five or so meters behind.

"The net!" Ms. Joplin called when George's foot got tucked underneath. 

George stood up and the net pulled up with him, the iron mesh falling on the ground to his side. A dark cloud of dust was released into the air, to swirl throughout the air. Daniel let out a cry of pain, falling against Lockwood's back. The pain from before returned tenfold. There was no barrier between the source and the agent now, with the door of the coffin being fully removed. Anthony was quick to react, turning and pulling her into him to steady her. The dust continued screeching through the air, the wind kicking up dirt to add into the mix. An apparition unlike any Daniel could confidently say she'd ever seen before hovered in the air above the coffin. It was entirely composed of the dark dust and emitted a low growl. A rapier was thrown through the air. As Daniel turned to look at whose it was, she found Lucy panting heavily. The rapier stabbed straight through the apparition's chest, the entire visitor lighting up with reds and oranges like lightning shooting through its veins. Not that it had veins. Daniel's temple started to burn and her chest panged at the same time the rapier went through the dust.

"George!" Lockwood called to him, not moving a muscle except to hold tighter onto Daniel as if to make sure she would remain steady.

George slowly pushed himself to his feet and tossed the net back over the grave just as Daniel felt like she was going to throw up. The spirit disappeared, caving in on itself and fading. The wind settled and Lockwood panted, holding Daniel tighter to his chest. Her head stopped buzzing and the pain that clung to her surrendered to her gashed thigh. 

From the corner of his eye, Lockwood could see Lucy starting to stumble back before turning and running in the opposite direction. "Lucy. Lucy!" He called out, but it was too late. She was gone. 

Lockwood grumbled something under his breath before turning Daniel around in his arms and pulling her into a tight hug. She let out a small squeak of surprise before hugging him back and melting against his warm embrace. 

————————————————————————————————

Word Count - 742

————————————————————————————————

Published - November 15, 2023

————————————————————————————————