XLII - What a Shock

"Lucy." Daniel whispered, staying close to the ground as she rounded to where the brunette was hiding. "Come on. We've gotta find Locks." 

"We need to get the mirror." Lucy huffed. "Lockwood would want us to go for the mirror first. It's the whole reason we're here."

"Anthony's in trouble-" Daniel argued, standing up straighter but keeping her voice low as she realized the blonde and her son weren't coming back for at least a little while. 

"And we'll save him after! But if we go after him first without getting the mirror then it'll 'ave all been for nothing." Lucy scoffed, shaking her head as her voice rose ever so slightly. 

"Fine. You go for the stupid artifact that makes us all ill and I'll find our boss." Daniel rolled her eyes before starting to walk away from Lucy. 

"Wait! Daniel-" 

"What?" She stopped, looking over her shoulder.

"We shouldn't split up. What if one of us gets caught?" Lucy tilted her head. 

Daniel didn't want to admit it, but Lucy made a good point. And. . .Lockwood probably would be annoyed if they went to rescue him before finding the glass. With a reluctant sigh, Daniel turned back toward Lucy. "Well come on then." 

Lucy gave a smile of triumph before following along with Daniel. They were quiet, being very careful that they weren't going a way with anyone down as they walked through the warehouse. Daniel could feel that same pull from earlier getting stronger with each step, though the ringing didn't increase. It was hard to make out the source from the other various anchors in the large building. They were all tugging at Daniel's skin, itching to get underneath and be interacted with, all hoping for the relief of being freed. But it was stronger than the rest, and as they got closer and closer, Daniel could tell it was starting to sound off in Lucy's head as well. "You feel it still?" Lucy looked over at Daniel, noticing the discomfort on her colleague's face.

"Yeah, straight ahead." Daniel gave a curt nod forward toward a brick wall. It had to have been on the other side. No way it was further inside this maze of aisles. 

They rounded the opening and saw a safe made of iron. It was muffling the source. No wonder it wasn't near as strong as at the graveyard. Lucy slowly walked toward it, putting her hand on top of it and closing her eyes. While she was doing that, Daniel was getting down on her knees and checking out the lock. She had no idea she'd need to be prepared to pick a lock, but now she did. Thanks to Lockwood. What a dumbass prick. It seemed to be a standard safe lock, which would typically be easy. . .except Daniel had none of her tools she needed. She didn't have her kit, hairpin, paper clip, none of it. Just as Daniel let out an annoyed huff, she heard footsteps on her left. Both her and Lucy snapped their heads over and noticed the same little boy from earlier standing there with his blue robot. 

Lucy slowly took a step away from the safe and toward the boy while Daniel kept looking at the safe, turning the handle as if it would be unlocked and waiting for them. What a dumb idea. 

"Leopold, is it?" Lucy asked the boy. "I know it's in there. The mirror. Is it keeping you awake?" The boy nodded. "You're talented. I'm a listener too. My friend, uh- Daniel," Lucy nodded back over her shoulder. "She's more in touch with sights and feelings. She's really good at finding sources from just how they make her feel. Cool, huh?" 

The boy gave a small nod, looking past Lucy at the girl who was trying to break into his parent's safe. 

"Is that your toy?" Lucy continued. "Can I listen to it?" She put a hand on the blue robot, staying quiet for a moment. "You're hurting."

Daniel curiously turned to look at the two only for a moment as something shiny on the floor caught her eye. It was a paperclip. Bingo. Daniel immediately bent the paper clip and started working on the metal lock. She heard a single click, but not much else and kept moving it. 

"Our friend is really hurting. Do you know where he is?" He nodded in response. "Do you think you could help us find him, Leopold?". The boy smiled. Daniel felt a sharp pain in her neck, coursing through her muscles. It reminded her of a source she'd found while working at Fittes, just less strong. The man had been struck by lightning. Electricity. That's what it was. In an instant, Daniel's mind went fuzzy and her head fell into the metal safe, only one pin away from unlocking it. 

————————————————————————————————

Word Count - 810

————————————————————————————————

Published - May 2, 2024

————————————————————————————————