Chapter 13

"Wow Velez. Didn't quite picture you as one starting trouble". Counselor Brooks views our files as Austin and I stand side to side with Officer Bobby standing behind us. It has been less than 1 week and already I have gotten myself written up. Sneaking a side glance, Austin appears as calm as a monk making me envious yet again at how calm she is.

"Alright Bobby get Lopez out of here. Escort her back up. Off work and no release for 3 days"

"What the fuck" Austin voices under her breath. With no idea what this all means, I can guess this wasn't the at least bit fair considering it wasn't entirely her fault.

"And give the file to Kit, please" Brooks looks at Austin through the rim of his reading glasses as he passes the file to Bobby. "You're lucky it's 3, ya know."

Austin stares at Brooks as if she's planning his death in her head and the room fills with an awkward tension between the two. "I'm ready, Bobby" she says lowly. My focus remains on Brooks as he finishes up with my paper work.

"Alright, Velez. So you started everything. But because you're new I'll give you a warning. Now that means the report will remain in your file and as long as this attitude doesn't continue it will not reflect on your record here. So if I were you I'd keep away from the black suits. Lopez, especially."

"Oh you won't have to worry about that" I reply with a cheerful heart "Thank you, this won't happen again."

"Good, I'm glad and so will be the Warren" he replies slamming my file shut. "We're done here. Now if you don't mind I have an online knitting class to attend. Close the door behind you."

Online knitting? His hairy mole was enough, and now knitting? Closing the door behind me, the weight of the world falls from my shoulders and the breath I had unconsciously been holding in is released. Now to develop a plan on avoiding black suits and keeping away from any possible access to me. 51 weeks to go.