2.New Goal

Kawaki Pov

Kawaki Pov

As I slowly opened my eyes, I found myself standing amidst a breathtaking flower field. Blinking away the remnants of sleep, I scanned my surroundings only to lock eyes with my parents, their expressions etched with concern.

"M-mom, Dad? Y-you're both here!" I stammered, tears pooling in my eyes, yet their puzzled gazes met mine.

"What's the matter?" Mom inquired, her voice laced with worry.

Confusion gripped me. "Huh?"

"We've passed on, dear," Dad's voice resonated gently.

My heart skipped a beat. "W-what do you mean!?"

"It's time for you to return, son..." Father's words trailed off as consciousness reclaimed me, pulling me away from the surreal encounter.

~Dream End~

I blinked and found myself staring at a wooden ceiling, realizing with a gasp of concern coursing through my veins that it was all just a dream.

"Ugh..." I grumbled, feeling a dull ache in my body.

"Oh, you're finally up," a voice to my right chimed in, and I turned to see a burly man looming over me.

"W-who are you...? Argh!" I winced, clutching my head as he handed me a drink.

"Here, take this. It's medicine. Should help ease the pain," he offered, and I gratefully gulped it down.

"Where's my mom?" I blurted out, but the room fell eerily silent.

"Follow me," he said, motioning towards the door. We stepped outside, and before long, we were standing in the backyard facing a row of freshly dug graves.

"Your mom passed away yesterday. I buried her before you woke. Surprised you survived the thrashing from one of those upper moon demons," he explained, his voice heavy with sorrow, as tears welled up in my eyes, and I collapsed beside her grave, letting out a heart-wrenching cry.

"I'm so sorry, kid. If I'd gotten here sooner, maybe... just maybe, I could've saved her," he muttered, bowing his head in remorse.

"Why are you apologizing? This is all my fault! If only I'd been faster, maybe I could've died with her!" I screamed, my voice choked with anguish.

"Don't talk like that, kid. Your mom would want you to keep going. Stop crying and live for her," he urged, his words piercing through my grief as I looked up at him, wiping away my tears.

"Who are you, anyway?"

"The name is Yami Sukehiro

"The name is Yami Sukehiro. I work as a demon slayer, barely," he said.

"Barely?"

"I'm retired for a reason. You're lucky that I'm in the nearby village; I sensed something was going on at the top of the mountain," he explained.

"W-what about the demon!?" I yelled out anxiously.

"...he's running away. I barely survived from fighting him," he said, showing me his bruised and bandaged body, blood still seeping through in some spots.

"It's okay. Thanks for saving my life," I said, bowing my head in gratitude.

"No problem. Anyway, before I go, here," he reached into his pocket, and I recognized what he was holding.

"I-is that...?"

"Yeah. Your mother's handkerchief. Before she took her last breath, she wanted me to give you her precious handkerchief," he said, tears welling up in his eyes as he handed me the keepsake.

"Well... I gotta go. See you around, kid," he said, turning to leave, but I stopped him.

"Can you teach me how to slay demons!?" I blurted out, desperation evident in my voice.

"Huh?"

"Can you teach me how to destroy them?" I asked again, and he looked at me, puzzled.

"Look, kid. Don't get me wrong, but this job is no joke. You can be killed in an instant. You barely survived the encounter with the upper demon, and you must hope you don't encounter them again. My advice is to lead a normal life. Get a job and get married," he advised, but his words ignited a fire in my heart.

"How can I get married when creatures like him are still alive!?" I retorted furiously.

"Then what do you want? From what I see in your eyes, it seems like you just want revenge for your mother's death," he observed, and I paused, contemplating his words.

"You're right. I do want to find that demon and kill him," I admitted, my resolve hardening.

"See? That's what I could tell from your eyes."

"But! I need to protect myself too! What if someone else faces the same fate as me or even worse!? Please, teach me so I can protect myself and others too!" I pleaded, bowing my head in earnest.

He looked at me for a few moments, then lit a cigarette.

"Pack your things. You have fifteen minutes to gather your belongings and wait for me outside," he ordered before walking away.

"Thank you so much, Yami-sensei!" I exclaimed, rushing inside the house to pack all my belongings.

A Few Minutes Later

After packing all my belongings, I made my way to my mother's grave to offer a final prayer.

"Mom, I may not see you for a while now. But I want you to know that I'll miss you terribly, and I'm grateful for being blessed with the best mother anyone could ask for," I whispered, a lump forming in my throat as I tied her handkerchief around my wrist like a wristband, a tangible connection to her memory.

"Oi, kid! You ready? Time's up now. If you're not here soon, I'm leaving you behind," my sensei's voice echoed from a distance.

"I'm ready," I replied firmly, determination etched into every line of my face as I prepared to embark on this new chapter of my life. With my mother's spirit guiding me, I felt ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

TO BE CONTINUED