5.Training Arc (2)

Few Months Later

Kawaki Pov

After several months of intense training, which included running up hills with Sensei on my back and completing 500 repetitions of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats, I felt pushed to my physical limits. As part of my training, Sensei also challenged me to wrestle his pet bear, Kumo, and spar with his wolf, Okama, testing my strength and agility in different ways.

Despite my best efforts, I often failed in these tasks, and the pressure to excel weighed heavily on me. In the heart of the forest, with Sensei and Hinata observing, I found myself kicking a large tree until my leg began to bleed.

"Why are you stopping?" Sensei's voice cut through the silence, his stern gaze fixed on me.

"I'm sorry, Sensei, but I can't continue," I admitted, my exhaustion evident.

"Pack your things and leave my house," his words were sharp and final, leaving me stunned by his abrupt dismissal.

"W-what?" I stuttered in disbelief.

"Are you deaf? If you're not dedicated to your training, then pack your things," he reiterated firmly.

"Do you want me to break my leg?" I asked wearily, the strain of the training evident in my voice.

"Remember your mother?" His reminder of my mother's tragic death flooded my mind, adding an emotional weight to the situation.

"Do you want this pain!?" I yelled, unleashing a storm of kicks on the tree.

"And this!" Each blow was fueled by frustration and grief.

"AND THIS!?" My final strike sent the tree crashing to the ground, the impact causing me to fall alongside it, clutching my injured, bleeding leg.

Groaning in pain, I saw Hinata rush to my side, gently wiping away the blood. Sensei watched in silence for a few moments before turning and walking away, leaving me to face the consequences of my choices and the memories that drove me forward.

Two Years Later

For the past two years, my body has finally built up endurance through rigorous training, such as sparring with my sensei and his pet. He even slashed my body with his sword, so I know the sensation of being cut by something sharp.

In addition to physical training, Sensei taught me how to read people's Ki, enabling me to predict my opponent's attacks in advance. Sometimes, if you're lucky enough, you can even perceive their aura, providing insight into their emotional state.

Furthermore, Sensei instructed me on utilizing my surroundings in case my sword breaks, emphasizing the importance of becoming one with nature. This is why I often meditate beneath the cascading waterfalls.

Aside from training, I make it a weekly ritual to visit my mother's grave, sharing details of my life and training, even though she cannot respond. It gives me solace, knowing she's aware I'm okay.

My relationship with Hinata is as close as siblings. I see her as my little sister, fulfilling a longing I've always had for siblings. However, I can't help but notice her blush and wonder why she gets flustered when we're alone together.

Presently, I find myself in Sensei's dojo, clad in training attire, as Sensei enters, also dressed for training.

"Before we continue our lesson," Sensei begins, "there are some things you need to know about becoming a demon slayer."

"Demon slayer corps is an ancient organization tasked with protecting humankind from man-eating demons. Founded by the Ubuyashiki family, its leader, known as Oyakata-sama, keeps its existence secret to prevent widespread panic," Sensei explains, extinguishing his cigarette.

"Why keep it secret from the government?" I inquire.

"There are many potential consequences if the government learns of the demons' existence. Some individuals in power may seek to exploit them for nefarious purposes," Sensei replies, prompting my understanding.

"In the Demon Slayer Corps, there are various ranks, which we'll discuss after the final selection. The highest rank is Hashira."

"What's a Hashira?" I ask.

"Hashira are elite swordmasters, the most skilled combatants within the Demon Slayer Corps. To join, one must slay at least fifty demons or defeat a member of the Twelve Kizuki," Sensei elaborates.

"What's the Twelve Kizuki?" I inquire further.

"The demons have their own hierarchy, similar to ours. The Twelve Kizuki are akin to our Hashira, led by Muzan Kibutsuji, the one responsible for your mother's death," Sensei reveals, igniting my anger.

"That bastard," I seethe internally.

"It's imperative you avoid encountering them, especially the upper ranks like the one with rainbow eyes, the number two symbol," Sensei warns, shocking me with the revelation of my mother's killer's identity.

"Why didn't he kill me when he had the chance?" I ask confused by the demon's behaviour.

"Demons often have preferences in their prey. He likely prefers the flesh of women," Sensei explains, leaving me to digest the grim truth.

"How do we defeat them?" I inquire.

"You must either fight them until sunrise or," Sensei draws his sword, "behead them with a Nichirin blade. Alternatively, use wisteria poison, as demons despise the smell of wisteria flowers," he suggests.

"So, decapitation is the only way?" I confirm, to which he nods.

"How do we accomplish that?" I inquire further.

"That's what I'll teach you today-the breathing technique," Sensei declares.

"The breathing technique?" I echo.

"Yes, used by the Demon Slayer Corps to combat demons. There are five primary techniques: water, flame, wind, stone, and thunder," Sensei explains.

"So, which one will you teach me?" I ask.

"None of them," Sensei replies cryptically.

"None of them?" I repeat, puzzled.

"Yes, I've developed my own technique, known as the Dark Breathing," Sensei reveals solemnly. "It's a method specifically designed to combat demons, aligning our abilities with their augmented physical prowess."

"So, are you prepared to embark on the journey of mastering this breathing technique? Be aware, it will require years of dedication and perseverance," Sensei states, gauging my readiness as I nod in agreement.

"Yes, Sensei!," I respond firmly, steeling myself for the rigorous training ahead.

"Now we're talking!" Sensei says with a grin, a hint of satisfaction creeping into his expression. "With that kind of attitude, you're bound to go far." He claps me on the shoulder, a silent gesture of encouragement.

TO BE CONTINUED