Chapter 7

"Another ristretto please, Connor," Jennie called through her open office door, her sunglasses perched on her face and her office lights off.

She was nursing one of the worst hangovers she'd had since college, and yet despite the pounding headache and the queasiness in her stomach, she hadn't stopped smiling all morning.

Some things about last night were blurry, and she'd have to ask Lisa why her back was hurting, but she remembered the important parts. She remembered telling Lisa she wanted to do this and that she could never regret choosing her.

In the light of day, there were contracts and the media and the workplace to consider, but Jennie was ready to consider it. Lisa was worth more than considering it. She was worth it all.

"Ms. Jane?" Connor said softly from the doorway.

"Jennie," she corrected with a small smile, not even lifting her head up to look away from the spreadsheet she was looking at.

"Would you mind if Lisa delivers the ristretto? She said something about coffee with the boss."

Jennie schooled her features and glanced up, giving Connor a small nod.

"She said yes," Connor whispered loudly, holding up a thumbs up for Lisa before she walked in with a coffee cup in hand.

"Hangover express?" Lisa asked, handing over the coffee and dropping into a seat.

Jennie took off the sunglasses and winced at the sunlight that filtered in through the window behind her.

"Thank you for the coffee," she said with a small smile.

"I have something for you," Lisa chuckled, digging through her backpack and pulling out the bottle that she typically drank protein shakes from. "Hangover cure made by yours truly."

"Do I want to know what's in that?"

"Best not to ask, but it's all edible and won't hurt you."

"Well, that's a relief," Jennie teased, grabbing the bottle and letting her pointer finger trail across Lisa's as she did so. "How are you this morning? Sleep like a baby last night?"

"Didn't wake up once. I crashed hard and slept in, something you don't seem to have done," Lisa answered, leaning back in the chair and stretching her legs out in front of her.

"Work doesn't end just because I overindulge," Jennie shrugged, taking a quick sniff of the hangover cure and cringing. "Are sure this won't kill me?"

"It doesn't taste good. It won't kill you, and you don't have to drink it all. I usually start to feel better after only drinking a quarter of the bottle," Lisa assured, watching Jennie grimace at the thought of drinking it.

The CEO blew out a long breath and then readied herself to drink it. She plugged her nose with one hand and upturned the bottle with the other, managing to chug about a third of the bottle before she had to tap out.

"Fuck, that's disgusting," Jennie choked out, setting the bottle on the opposite end of her desk, not intending to drink anymore.

"Give it half an hour," Lisa grinned. "You should chase it with coffee."

Jennie was already picking up her ristretto and taking a long gulp of it, her disgusted expression morphing into relief once she'd downed a few gulps of the coffee.

"So... are you unhappy about overindulging?" Lisa asked slowly, unsure of how to casually ask if Jennie still felt like giving this a shot or if it had been the alcohol talking.

Jennie hid her smile behind her coffee cup, taking another sip before setting it down on the desk in front of her.

"What time is it?" Jennie asked.