Chapter 10

The longing got worse when Lisa's mom called. It got worse because her mom was finally coming to visit Denver and she was dying to meet Jennie. It got worse when her mom finally got to meet her at Lisa's apartment, and Cindy whispered in Lisa's ear that she loved her.

"Why don't I take you both out for dinner on me?" Cindy asked.

Jennie winced and shared a quick look with Lisa. "I'd love to, but... we can't exactly be out together," Jennie explained. "I'm sorry."

"I don't... understand," Cindy said slowly, looking over at Lisa.

"We don't really go out," Lisa mumbled, trying to focus on anything else but the longing.

"We can't. With my position as the club's owner and all that," Jennie added, her stomach twisting with a familiar guilt, the one she'd been feeling since they returned from Europe. It got worse every day that they resorted back to their routine, with nights in and clandestine moments. And she could see the toll it was taking on Lisa.

"So, you don't date?" Cindy asked, her forehead getting more furrowed.

"Why don't we order in or something," Lisa suggested, busying herself with unloading the dishwasher because this entire situation made her chest ache.

"No, let's... go. Out. It'll be fine," Jennie offered, her worried, watchful gaze on Lisa.

"We can order in," Lisa repeated, making her mother head whip around between the two women.

"Lisa," Jennie sighed, not wanting to have an argument she'd known was looming in front of Lisa's mother, especially not after meeting her for the first time.

"Your brother actually told me about a really great restaurant that doesn't do seating. They do pick up and delivery only," Cindy offered softly.

"Cindy, we can find a place to sit down. The last thing I'm sure you want to do is come to town and eat in an apartment," Jennie said, shooting her an apologetic smile.

"The dining room table is fine. You picked it out," Lisa huffed, stacking another plate on top of the growing pile she was pulling out of the dishwasher. "Shit, it's dirty," she muttered, reloading the plates even faster than she'd unloaded them.

"We can eat at the dining room table tomorrow," Jennie offered, standing up from her spot on the couch next to Cindy and moving into the kitchen. She placed a gentle hand on Lisa's shoulder to get her to stop messing with the dishes.

"I'll... get a sweater," Cindy mumbled to herself before slipping down the hall toward the guest room.

"Just do what you're comfortable with. My mom doesn't need to go out. It's not a big deal," Lisa said, her voice quiet and her eyes still moving.

"It isn't just me whose comfort I'm thinking about," Jennie argued softly.

"I'm fine. I'm great. Nothing's stopping me from going out," Lisa blurted out, feeling her throat grow thick.

Jennie narrowed her eyes and let her hand fall from Lisa's shoulder.

"I hate it when you bullshit me. You know that," Jennie said, her voice low.

"I'm not bullshitting," Lisa argued.

"Well, you're not fine or great. And I'm the one stopping you from going out. So, yeah you are bullshitting me," Jennie replied, her arms crossing over her chest defensively.

"Fine, I'm not great. But it's not just you who's stopping me. I'd also like to not be seen as a player who's just screwing her owner," Lisa hissed, hearing her mom moving around in the guest room.