Chapter 12

Whatever pretenses they'd been operating under of their ability to keep their relationship under wraps before Lisa's injury, we're basically thrown out the window now.

Lisa was driven to the stadium every morning by Jennie and driven home every afternoon or evening by her too. Jennie stopped in for PT sessions to check in on Lisa; the later took lunch in Jennie's office.

They weren't being obvious, but they weren't hiding it as well as they had been.

"You're a very hands-on owner, aren't you?" the trainer observed with a knowing smirk.

"We made you sign an NDA right?" Jennie wondered, watching Lisa and another trainer complete some band exercises.

"Signed it before I started work here," the trainer nodded.

"Good. In that case, I'm not here as the owner," Jennie said softly, wincing a little at the grimace of pain on Lisa's face.

"Noted," the trainer hummed.

"She's a hands-on girlfriend," Wendy cooed through the open door that led into the training room.

"Sonny," Jennie sighed, narrowing her eyes at the woman in the doorway.

"She's gonna trade you," Lisa warned, cringing as she pulled her leg against a resistance band, her knee moving more fully than it had in the past week.

"Don't tempt me," Jennie called out teasingly, shooting Lisa a reassuring smile as she continued to work through her PT exercises.

"It's good you've been hands-on," the trainer said, looking over at Jennie. "Lisa told me you've been making her actually use crutches and ice her knee."

Jennie nodded, watchful gaze still trained on Lisa. "How do you think she's recovering? It's so hard to gauge for me. She looks better and acts like her knee feels better, but I just don't know."

"She definitely puts on a brave face, I think," the trainer admitted. "But she looks strong doing these exercises. I think she can start relying less on the crutches but still take it easy."

"She is strong," Jennie hummed with a proud smile before her smile faltered just a bit. "But she keeps asking about returning to play in time for Portland in two weeks. I'm running out of excuses to give her."

"I think she can return to play. It'll probably be the first game back, and I wouldn't play her the whole ninety minutes, but if she keeps doing exercises at home and resting, she should be ready," the trainer replied.

"I think she'll love hearing that," Jennie observed, her smile returning when she saw Lisa finish her exercises and high-five the trainer exuberantly.

"Love hearing what?" Lisa asked, slipping her hand in Jennie's.

She squeezed the hand and offered her a soft smile.

"You might be back in time for our last home game," Jennie hummed in reply.

"Thank God," Lisa groaned. "Do I get to ditch the crutches too?"

Jennie checked with the trainer, who gave her a smile and a nod, before answering. "Soon. A few more days at most."

"Like two?" Lisa asked, poking out her bottom lip and making the trainer chuckle.

"That might work on me, but it won't work on her," Jennie laughed softly.

"I don't know. I think I'm growing on her. Right, Eileen?" Lisa said with her biggest smile.

"Don't get ahead of yourself," Eileen rolled her eyes. "Make sure she keeps icing and doing her PT at home. And... you two make a lovely couple. Crutch safely," she added before she walked out of the training room.