The Kidnapping

Lady Alys swiftly walks under the overpass in the courtyard of Camelot's castle. Her purple cloak billows with the movement. She has to hurry if she's going to make it to her father's study before he leaves for the family chambers.

The Du Lac family chambers are on the other side of the castle, far from the barracks.

If Sir Lancelot leaves before his daughter, she'll have to wait for him to finish changing; then, once they finish meeting, she will have to change in a rush. Thankfully her room is upstairs, and Master Merlin removed the floor between the upstairs and downstairs rooms in the Du Lac household, leaving only a terrace and stairs leading to Squire Galahad and Lady Alys's rooms.

The critical document has been stuffed into the waistband of her trousers since she left Sir Bedivere at the training field. Her father needed the document signed by the knights in the king's employ. That was Lady Alys's task, find and have each Knight sign.

"Lady Rhoslyn!"

A man's reedy voice calls after Lady Alys. The daughter of Sir Lancelot grits her teeth and keeps walking. People need to learn to tell the sisters apart.

"Lady Rhoslyn!"

"Lady Rhoslyn!"

"Lady Rhoslyn!"

Lady Alys spins around as the man from the lower town grabs her shoulder. The lady pushes him against the courtyard's inner wall. Her dagger slides out from its sheath and is pressed against the man's throat.

The man gasps and holds his hands above his head. He presses himself as far as he can go into the wall. Away from the gleaming dagger. The blade gleams in the setting sun, waiting to bite into the man's flesh. It's almost not enough. He fears swallowing phlegm building up.

"First off, I am not Lady Rhoslyn. I'm Lady Alys. Secondly, my sister does not want to grab a drink with you. If you are thirsty, I recommend a tavern in town," Lady Alys sneers.

The man purses his lips to keep from drooling on the tiny lady.

Lady Alys steps away from the man. She looks him over and sheaths her dagger, then begins walking away. "And Lady Rhoslyn doesn't drink ale. She drinks wine like a civilized Lady."

As Lady Alys walks, she adjusts her purple cape and the checks for the document. One can never be too careful. Especially when escorting a vital manuscript.

Inside the castle, Lady Alys strolls through the familiar halls. She was raised alongside her twin sister in this castle. It's her home. She could find her way anywhere in the dark and blindfolded. Both ladies could.

As Lady Alys turns a corner, she nearly runs into her sister Lady Rhoslyn. The twins laugh at the mistake of taking a corner too tightly—something they do rather frequently.

"Hello,"

"Hello to you too. Where are you off to?"

"To see Father about Galahad, but you'll never guess what just happened," Lady Alys smiles, fully intending to recount a lavish story for her sister.

"You were mistaken for me, and when they grabbed your arm, you shoved them against the courtyard wall and held them at knife point," Lady Rhoslyn states point blank. She knows her younger sister quite well. And this interaction was not once in a lifetime. It's a common occurrence.

"You saw,"

"No, I simply know you,"

"Well, you're right. That is exactly what happened," Lady Alys snorts, a string of laughter flowing from her mouth. The sisters share a laugh once more before regaining their composure.