𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙮 𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚.

─☼☼☼─

"𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙀," 𝙍𝘼𝙁𝙀 𝙈𝙐𝙈𝘽𝙇𝙀𝘿, taking the bag from Charlotte's hands, "I've got it."

Releasing her grip on the bag, Charlotte gave him a small smile, "Wow, such a gentleman."

Rafe grinned, shooting her a wink. "Only for you, baby."

"Okay, have you two even thought about what you're doing?" Rose called from the living room, revisiting the same discussion the three of them had been having since Rafe and Charlotte had filled her in on their meeting that had occurred the day prior. "How do we know this is safe?"

With an eye roll, Rafe shuttled the bag out to the upstairs landing, piling it on top of the other bags that the pair had pack for their little trip. They had decided to stay in Barbados for at least a few days. If they made the deal then they'd have time to celebrate, just the two of them. If the deal fell through, then they'd have time to drown their sorrows before returning to Guadeloupe.

"Look, Rose. We don't have time for this, okay? We gotta get to Bridgetown and we're taking the boat." Rafe argued, unbothered as he returned to the bedroom to retrieve the rest of the bags. Charlotte was watching him with some uncertainty, beginning to think that just maybe Rose was right. 

"Don't look at me like that." He warned quietly, catching the look on her face. "I've got this okay. We've got this."

"Rafe─"

Charlotte's words fell silent as Rafe pressed a kiss to her lips. Pulling back, he gave her an assuring look. "I'm not gonna let anything bad happen, alright? Just trust me."

She wanted to, she really did. But the two didn't have the best track record as of late when it came to running into conflict. 

Rafe didn't wait for an answer from her as he made his way back out to the landing, facing Rose who was still standing down below. "Come on, Rafe." Rose pleaded. "You don't even know this guy!"

Trying to push down the fatalist thoughts that were clawing through her, Charlotte grabbed her purse, one of the many belongings that Rafe had purchased for her since they arrived on the island. She didn't ask for half of the stuff, nor did she want it. But buying her stuff made Rafe happy, so Charlotte did her best to grin and bear the unnecessary amount of clothing and jewellery she was handed on a weekly basis. 

"You can't just go out and try to make a deal, Rafe!" Rose continued. As Charlotte stepped out onto the landing, Rose fixed her eyes on the younger girl. "And Charlotte, come on, hunny. You're smarter than this."

"Don't bring her into this." Rafe ordered, glancing up from the business card he had been examining. "She's being a supportive girlfriend and trying to help me make a deal. Maybe you should take a page from her book, Rose."

Charlotte had to actively work not to have her face contort at Rafe's use of the word girlfriend. Last she checked they weren't actually back together. But maybe that was a discussion for another time. 

Rose pursed her lips, trying to ignore Rafe's insult. "I know you think you know what you're doing, but people out there know that your dad's alive. No─not just people, Pogues."

Fiddling with the frayed ends of her shorts, Charlotte's eyes swivelled toward Rose at the mention of the Pogues. The whole family had done a pretty damn good job at pretending the Pogues weren't missing at sea because of what they had done that day on the Coastal Venture. Or at least they avoided the topic when Charlotte was around...until now.