Chapter 4

As it humiliatingly turned out, I was wrong to think so lowly of the Saints. They had actually made something of themselves through the years, as evidenced by the tall edifice we entered. The big sign that read Saint Society glimmered against the sun. Their sigil was everywhere we turned. On walls, on the carpets, and even on people's uniforms.

As they ushered me to a spacious room with marble floors, the thoughts of where they were taking me and the fact that I saw my lifelong nemesis in the crowd earlier and how he even got here instantly vanished as I felt an intense need to drink water.

"I'm thirsty."

"You're what, darling?" Spinett asked.

"Thirsty," I said, clearing my throat. I reached up to feel my forehead. "And feverish."

He turned his head to look at me. "You look pale. You must be tired."

"I don't. I feel sick."

He held me by the arm and urged me on. "This is the last schedule for the day. Once we see this through, we'll go back to Windsor."

I took in a deep breath. "Can't this wait?"

Brenna, who was walking head of us, stopped and turned to me with a smile I learned to despise. "Aster, the Council has been nothing but patient. They will not take much of your time."

Well, I could not possibly throw a fit. I barely had the energy. Spinett touched my forehead with concern, but he murmured for me to walk again. I swayed on my feet, closed my eyes and asked if we could wait a little while. Brenna's impatience was palpable, but they waited anyway. When I opened my eyes again, I felt slightly better. But the burning was still there.

"Water."

In no time, they were pressing glass against my lips. I held it and downed the content. It helped, but not quite enough.

"Just a few minutes, Aster, and we'll go home."

I swallowed and nodded again.

Inside the large room were more people in white, looking as excited as the crowd gathered in the large hall earlier. They stared at me like I was the most important thing in the world. Thing because that's how I felt. I felt like the artifact they called me. Not someone to worship, but something that would bring them salvation. Like a cup for their tea, or the spoon for their soup. The verses for their spell. The poppet for their curse.

Brenna and Spinett bowed before a group of nine men and women seated behind a high table on a raised platform. Behind them was a giant, glowing circle.

"It's true," said the man in the center, looking down at me with curious eyes. "You're really alive."

Saying nothing, I took note of every face. All of them were looking at me with wonder, except the lady with the white hair. It was as if she knew something was wrong with me. Or that I was lacking and a waste of her time.

"Welcome to Genesis City, Aster Byrne," said one woman, a small smile playing at the corner of her mouth. "Waking up is perhaps the greatest thing you've ever done for our society. Your works have been tremendously helpful in building this society. And now, you've just proven that your greatest experiment would lead us to greater success."

I honestly didn't know what to say. If I remembered correctly, I had given up on many of my works, immortality included.

But at that moment, whether or not I liked it, I was quite important to these people. I didn't know where my family's riches were, or if there was any left to begin with. I had just woken up. I was yet to discern if I woke up in a bloody nightmare.