Chapter 27

I opened my eyes to Nalani's radiant smile, which, for a breath, made me forget why she was there. Or why I was there. Her presence enveloped me in warmth, one I wanted to swim in for a little while longer. I felt spent... Suddenly exhausted. I was rife with blood, and I was physically stronger than ever. The tiredness echoed from somewhere deep within, and Nalani seemed to soothe that.

"We got her."

Three words and I blinked back to reality. I sat up and found Alistair sitting by a window, leg crossed over the other. At his feet was Mertha Krall, her hands bound, mouth gagged.

"Where are we?" I asked, slowly rising.

"A building across Katz's border," he replied, eyes on me. "Make the witch give you what you need and get out of here." At his last word, his eyes jumped to Nalani.

The woman's face fell, refusing to meet his gaze. When she looked at me, her eyes glistened with unshed tears. With a sad smile, she said, "I'm sorry that you'll have to take me. I'll try not to be a burden."

"You're not," Alistair told her, walking toward Mertha Krall. He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her up. To give her credit, the astral appeared calm. She knew she was outnumbered.

But so many things could go wrong here. I didn't know every facet of her gift, and that secretly scared me.

"Now, witch," Alistair said, facing Mertha with a small smile on his lips. "Give us Katz—"

"And Bellatrix," I interjected.

Alistair rolled his eyes and wryly added, "—And Bellatrix and we'll hand over Corey." Mertha didn't move. She continued to stare at Alistair. For some reason, he grinned and pulled her gag down.

"I need proof he's alive," Mertha said, voice even, gaze equally unwavering.

I walked over to my chest and pulled my repertory out. Without help, I positioned it against the wall. Standing in front, I smiled at my reflection until the mirror disappeared and revealed the hidden shelves. "Give me a second," I said with a smile, reaching down to grab Corey's collar. With the strength bestowed by my vampire blood, I pulled him up. He was still weak, but no longer unconscious. His eyes opened against the light of the room. Before he could do anything, I let go and straightened to full height while he fell back down with a thud. As I faced Mertha, the mirror reappeared.

Her gaze remained on my repertory and jumped to me when I spoke. "No one else can open my repertory." With a smile I knew annoyed her greatly, I added, "I'll enter the Fog with you." I met Alistair's gaze, and he gave me the slightest nod. "And I'm taking Nalani with me."

Mertha turned her head to the Omen. "There's no need."

"I can't risk any of your apostles or Bishops taking her while we're in the Fog. She's coming with me."

Mertha's brow twitched ever so slightly. Her eyes went to Alistair again. Finally, she let out a frustrated sigh. "As you wish."

I held out my hand to Nalani. Hers was cold and shaking. I gave it a squeeze, and waited.

Mertha lifted her bound hands to Alistair. He silently freed her, but as he stepped back, he gave her a warning: "Don't do anything stupid, witch."

Ignoring him, Mertha faced us. She did not speak, nor did she move. It just happened. One moment we were in a room, the next we were cloaked in total darkness.

My hand tightened around Nalani's instinctively as she pressed closer to me, hearing the whispers from the surrounding void. There was a small smile playing in one corner of Mertha's mouth as she slowly turned like a ghost leading us to the depths of the afterlife. "Follow me," her voice echoed back to us.