Chapter 22

The building was more complex than I thought. Was higher, too. And Klyne Alistair used the stairs. He ignored anyone who blocked his path selling blood in bags or food or pills. For a second, I was drawn to the pills a teenage boy offered me, but I had a vampire to follow. With throat burning, I said no, only to realize Alistair was gone.

I ran to the corner that led to another corridor, but it was empty. Gritting my teeth, I ran up the stairs that led me to another long corridor with more people loitering about. There was no sign of the man.

"What are you doing here, witch?"

I stopped cold. The hairs on my arms and neck stood as a rush of air brushed past me, blowing my hat off. Suddenly, Klyne Alistair was standing before me, eyes menacing. His smile brought a shiver up my spine. Maybe Salwey's impression of him was not too far from the truth after all.

"So the rumors are true." His whispered voice reverberated down the hall. His gray eyes glinted with amusement as his icy fingers ran down the side of my face. "You're a vampire." He wasn't as handsome as Evensen, but the man had a certain charm that stopped me from turning this dream into a nightmare. The danger he imposed kept me rooted, made me want to explore it just a little. See if the ember could burn. "Did Salwey send you?"

"No." I stepped back. Told myself this could be dangerous for me. I may have control of this dream, but this was still his dream. Few knew just how much power they held in their own dreams. Power that even I may find a challenge to control. "I came on my own. No one knows I'm here."

His knowing smile lingered on his lips as he looked around. "Looks pretty authentic. Feels like it, too." He wrinkled his nose. "But do you know what gave you away?" I waited with bated breath. The only thing that offered me consolation was the door that a few feet away. I could escape anytime. "Your scent doesn't belong here."

He placed his hands in his pockets and tilted his head to the side, eyeing me. "They're here for me, aren't they?" When I remained mum, he chuckled. "Of course, they are. Who is it this time? Corey?" His shoulders shook with laughter. "Poor boy still thinks he can catch me and make his mother proud."

"You killed the Katamas." I didn't know why I said it, or why I felt a burning anger in the pit of my stomach for Akira and Akiko's loss. I simply knew what it feels like to have no one.

Again, he just chuckled. "I had to. They did something horrible."

"What did they do?"

"They stole from me." His smile disappeared. "What are you going to do after you wake up? You'll tell Corey where to find me?"

"No. I play by my own rules." When he just smiled, I asked, "What is an Omen?"

I knew he knew the answer the moment the smile froze on his lips. "Why would I tell you?"

"Because it sounds powerful enough for you to steal it from the society." I was making a wild guess, but based on his response, I was on the right path.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "It is indeed powerful."

"Tell me what it is."

He shrugged. "Why don't you ask Evensen?"

It was my time to freeze.

He sighed and shook his head. "I suppose he doesn't tell you enough. Typical Evensen." He turned and continued walking.

"Stop," I ordered. "How do you know Evensen?"

Waving a hand, he said instead, "Wake me up, witch, or you'll be in trouble. I have no time for this."

I closed the path before him with a wall. He stopped, touched it. When he faced me again, he wasn't looking pleased. "Look. I don't really like getting trapped like Evensen does. Would you mind?" he asked, motioning at the door to his right. "This is the door, right?"