Chapter 28

The last time it happened, I fell asleep because of the halo's spell. This time, I was wide awake. Not at all pleasant. I couldn't talk, couldn't move. Could even barely move my eyes. I heard and saw everything as I fell on the floor, and the room tilted.

Then I saw Mertha. I almost forgot about her.

She was on her knees, arms wide and stiff. If I could smile, I would have done it. Whatever she was doing, she was struggling. Nalani must have caused enough damage to the Fog, because then Mertha shouted for everyone to leave when one of her apostles tried to approach her.

My last glimpse was the fear and panic in her eyes as she tried to control her little pets from escaping. At least we'd be safe from the Fog for now, I thought as someone carried me out of the building, threw me into a vehicle, and covered my head.

My only relief was when someone shouted that Bellatrix had escaped and Brenna said, "Forget the fox and move along. We'll take care of it if it comes back."

Whatever the venom was, it was quite strong. I couldn't use my gift. I couldn't even summon myself to sleep. It kept me awake and immobile. There was total silence in the vehicle. No one spoke a word, but I knew one of my apostles was traveling with me. Tiff. The smell of her potions was in the air.

I wish they talked about Nalani. I didn't know where they had taken her. Even Alistair was gone. The bastard was nowhere in sight earlier, which meant he was our only chance of escape.

The journey didn't take long. The vehicle eventually stopped, and I was pulled out, carried over someone's shoulder, and then dropped again like a heavy sack of grain. When they finally took off the head cover, I instantly knew where we were.

The train.

My arms were strapped to a narrow bed. They made another line in my vein. Akiko silently and swiftly ran a clear fluid through it. Brenna stood at the foot of the bed, arms folded as she watched Spinett and Akiko work. When she realized I was staring, she offered a small smile.

"It's not your fault, Aster," she said. "You've been too naïve since you woke up. They fooled you into believing that your sister is alive and that she's waiting for you outside. That's far from the truth." She watched Akiko push something into the IV line before her eyes returned to mine. "And it's not your fault you're a vampire."

"We had suspected it for quite some time," Spinett said. "I guess we were too hopeful about your immortality spell that we've neglected the signs."

"But the signs weren't all there," Brenna explained. "Your results had always been a little odd. Nothing pointed to you being a vampire until Akiko did her own study in secret."

"Which led us to believe that someone had been accessing our facility to manipulate your results," Spinett added.

"It's over now," said Brenna. "We got you just in time. Once we reach Genesis, I'll be on your side. I'll fight for you. Vampires are not new to our society. If you can prove your innocence and give us the names of the people who manipulated you into doing this, I'm sure the Council will be very lenient. However, I don't think you can remain as an Astral." She stepped back with a reassuring smile. "Once you're able, we'll talk again."

***

"Will it be sufficient?" Spinett asked Akiko as she pushed another dose of clear fluid through my veins.

Akiko did not answer immediately. She finished what she was doing and stared at me for a long time, her face completely bare of emotions. Nothing I had ever seen from her before. She must think that I was now friends with the vampires who killed her parents.