Chapter 21

"They're here for a different mission." The bitter taste at the back of my tongue tasted worse as I said the words.

"What do you mean?" Akira asked.

I paced before them with arms tightly crossed over my chest. "There's a secret mission."

"You mean we've been given a minor mission and they're dealing with something more important?" Tiff scoffed in disbelief. "Only in the books do you get to read that kind of plot. We're the epitome of loser protagonists who have to prove themselves by going through trials that get more difficult with every chapter."

Akira lifted a hand to silence her. "What's their mission?" he asked me.

"Something to do with getting hold of the Omen."

"Omen?" my apostles chorused.

"Yes." My feet came to a halt. "Anyone know what that is?"

Tiff and Lexie turned to Akira. We all did. But he shrugged. "I can find out."

Tiff groaned in frustration.

Lexie warily eyed each of us. "What do we do now?"

"We'll do what's asked of us, of course," I said, smoothing the skirt of my dress.

"What are you planning?" Akira asked.

"Nothing," I innocently said, and he fell quiet. I wondered then how much he knew about his parents. Did he know they were more than just regular passengers on that train?

"If they're not sharing this secret mission with us, it must be because we're all new to this," he said. "It's not a bad thing. It just means we have to do better so they see our potential."

I did not completely agree, but he had a point. "You're right." Well, not completely. If we found out more about this mission and what it was about, it might help me decide if Evensen was feeding me lies. And I wanted to know about this Omen. What it was and what it could do—Why the Saint Council was too keen on getting it, or why it was such a big bloody secret.

"But what about Mars—" Tiff started, but stopped when I gave her a sharp look.

"There's not much we can do about the dog. We have a mission to do."

Akira followed me to my room, hands in his pockets. I paused in the act of tying my hair and raised my brows in question.

He cleared his throat. "I'm just wondering..." His face contorted just a little, which reminded me of his sister. Akiko would twist her lips the same way whenever Spinett said something embarrassing. "The dog was alive when they threw it off the train, right?"

"I think so." When he remained standing on the threshold of my room, I added, "A familiar will always find its way to its witch. I wouldn't worry about the dog."

"I'm not worried."

With a scoff, I gave him a taunting smile. "Liar. Now, leave me alone. I need a perfect hair for today."

When the door closed, I dropped onto my bed and doubled over in pain. "Blast it," I groaned, swallowing hard. Bellatrix nuzzled my leg and licked my shaking hand. "I'm fine."

No, you're not.

"Yes, I'm not," I admitted. I grabbed the golden case from my trunk and popped a pill into my mouth. "The hell with it."

Closing my eyes, I waited for the instant relief. It came fast, but I knew it would be gone just as fast. It used to last me the entire day, but now it could only give me a couple of hours.

***

Felix was already waiting for me in the hotel lobby. Telling my apostles to stay put, I walked up to him, all the while ignoring the scowl on his face. "You must have heard about the commotion from last night," I told him. "I was a little shaken and needed some rest."