xChapter 13 - Too Old To Be Able To Believe (1)

Several years ago in the 90s, a younger Aken Amnestor sits in his office drinking some coffee. He's just started his career as a teacher and instead of the tired and defeated look his current self has, he has a clean-shaven face, eyes filled with optimism, and a passion for teaching.

"So let me get this straight, you failed the test on purpose?" Mr. Amnestor asks a young student, "Do you think I'm just going to allow you to retake the test because you're my favorite student?"

"Oh so I am your favorite," the young student says with a cocky smirk on his face before adding, "look Amny, I had a fight I needed to go to so you can't blame me for ignoring my test. Besides if I don't retake the test I might just no longer have time for the world history club."

Mr. Amnestor looks at the student and sighs as he hands the student a new test.

"Just don't tell anyone about this, otherwise I'll be getting in trouble, and you better not be getting into any more fights, ya hear me?"

"Loud and clear Amny, I'll have this test done no time flat!"

As the student goes and fills out the test, Aken Amnestor feels some happiness. A happiness that was birthed from seeing his student genuinely love the subject he taught. And a happiness that he would soon regret having. A happiness he wouldn't be able to experience for a long long time.

______________________________

In the present, a much older Amnestor is sitting in his office drinking coffee while Alex, Marcus, Ronnie, & Elizabeth are all arguing with him.

"You can't just close our club! We haven't done anything wrong!" Ronnie yells.

"Didn't we get into two fights though?" Elizabeth asks Ronnie.

"Oh...but that was only two times!"

"So your club getting into a fight has happened more than once?" Mr. Amnestor questions with a stern look on his face.

Ronnie & Elizabeth deflate a bit however Alex steps up to the plate to argue in defense of the club.

"Look the first time wasn't really a fight it was just an argument, the thing that just happened with Ronnie & Elizabeth the other day was out of their control! Are you seriously going to punish them for what that lunch creep did?" Alex argues.

"The kitchen is strictly off limits for all students for a multitude of reasons. While I'm not defending Mr. Griffon's actions, I will hold your club accountable for your consistent negligence of Starlight High's rules," Mr. Amnestor retorts.

"Can't you give us just one more chance? Please? All we want to do is help people! We didn't mean to be fighting anyone," Marcus explains.

"Allow me to be frank," Mr. Amnestor begins, "If Mister Ramirez didn't show up when he did, I can only think of the awful discussion I would be having instead of this one. I cannot in good conscience allow myself to host this club. Do I make myself clear?!"

Marcus looks down at the ground before replying, "yes sir."

Ronnie, Elizabeth, Alex, & Marcus all leave Mr. Amnestor's office, as they do so, Mr. Amnestor sighs as he takes another sip of his dark and bitter coffee.

_____________________

That night at Burrito Bistro, Marcus, Elizabeth, Ronnie, & Alex are sitting at a table eating some chips as they accept the reality of the situation.

"So I guess we aren't going to have a club anymore," Alex mentions before adding, "you guys wanna go play some ping pong tomorrow?"

Elizabeth sighs as she says, "I don't think I can hang out with you guys if we aren't in a club."

"What? Why not? If it's your parents saying that then you can just ignore them," Ronnie says.

"No, it's just easier to be able to plan things when we already have a set time for when we meet up."

As Ronnie, Alex, & Elizabeth discuss, Marcus looks at the chips a bit defeated. Ronnie notices this and moves the chips toward Marcus.

"You doing good buddy?" Ronnie asks concerned.

"I'm just a bit down," Marcus says, "I just wanted to make this club to help people but it looks like it's gonna be shut down before we can do that much."

Elizabeth, Ronnie, & Alex look at Marcus stunned. Wanting to help cheer up his best friend, Ronnie looks around and notices that Mesto-Presto is walking by with some empanadas. This gives Ronnie an idea and he grabs the empanadas off of the tray Mesto-Presto is holding.

"Don't worry, I'll give it back," Ronnie says to Mesto before he turns his attention to Marcus, "Hey you remember the first time you saw these?"

"Yeah my abuela's been making those since before I was born," Alex replies.

"No I mean Marcus," Ronnie says.

"Yeah I remember that I didn't really get why people would like them, but then I ate one and they were really good!" Marcus replies.

"Exactly, we just have to do the same to Amnestor!" Ronnie says.

"You mean we're gonna give him an empanada?"

"No not that, what I mean is that in order to get Mr. Amnestor to believe in our club, we'll have to grant him his very own miracle!" Ronnie replies with a smile on his face.

See You Next Chapter!~