Chapter 5

Dedicated to Liss - lxxskxmm 

I miss you. You never got to find out what happened to Owen. 

The scene from the night before kept replaying in Taylen's mind. Ryder had such nerve, she couldn't handle it. She thought maybe he would be nice to her. She thought maybe he was capable of showing some sympathy. Maybe, just maybe he could see the world through her eyes for once. But she was wrong. Very wrong

Owen's heartbeat was still ongoing, it hadn't stopped once. And the Caldwells were all super thankful for that.

"Hey! It's five days til Christmas!" Gabe announced as he walked through Taylen's door

"I'd forgotten about that! Bro! Everyone will be here in 3 days! Wait. What if Owen isn't out of hospital by then??" Taylen asked

"Well, keep praying he is" Levi said as he walked past her room.

"Eavesdropper" Taylen mumbled, but she replied with an 'ok' in her mind.

Gabe chuckled and sat on his sister's bean bag, pulling out his phone and checking Instagram. Taylen sighed. Her older brothers loved teasing her and Owen about their phones. The youngest two didn't have one - yet - and they were so close to convincing their parents to buy them one. Well, Owen was. They kept saying Taylen was too young for one. Plus, with six iPhones in the family already, it was awfully expensive, especially since they all had pretty new models.

"Hey check this" Gabe showed Taylen a reel of a skimboarder sending an awesome wave.  The reel was posted by an account called "Send Over Safety" which was basically just videos of people fully sending something like waves, mtb jumps, or snow.

"Oooo that was legendary!" She said. A couple of minutes later she asked her brother "What'd you get me for Christmas"

Gabe lifted his eyes from his phone as he tried to think "Uhhh. Nothing yet actually"

"Seriously!?" She glared at him as he nodded.

"What'd you get me?!" Levi yelled from his room

"Stop listening to our conversations!" Taylen shouted back

"It's not our fault your being loud" this came from Zeke

"Wow. Just wow" Gabe chuckled

༄𓆉✞𓆉༄

"OH MY GOSH! OWEN!" Taylen screamed as she ran into his hospital room. Her older brother laughed quietly as she tackled him -  softly - in a hug. "I thought you'd never wake up" she whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks

"It's ok Tay. I'm ok. We're all ok" he replied, holding her tight.

When the Caldwell siblings learned Owen had woken up, they were a mess. Taylen was desperate to go see him, but it being three am, she had to wait until the morning. She didn't sleep the rest of the night, but instead, laid awake, hot and teary, thanking God for the miracle he had worked. By six that morning, Taylen jumped out of bed, chucked on some clothes, and sprinted over to Ambers's house to tell her the good news. She only went over this early because she knew Amber and her entire family would be awake.

Everyone was currently at the hospital, Taylen, Amber, and Emme on one side of Owen, her brothers on the other, the two families prayed and Taylen felt the Lord's presence in the room. Although she knew He'd been there the entire time, this was the first time she truly felt it. Her cheeks were streaked with tears and Amber was squeezing her hand tightly.