thirty one

the sea breeze met their skin as haeyeon hugged herself

the sea breeze met their skin as haeyeon hugged herself. seeing this, jaemin wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer to him

they watched the sunset in comfortable silence as she rested her head on his shoulder. "hey jaem, can i ask you a question?"

jaemin hummed, drawing circles on her palm, as she proceeded to continue

"why did you suddenly avoid me?"

jaemin paused his actions slightly, as he shifted in his seat. "you know i'm not allowed to feel this way right? with hyuck and everything, it's complicated"

he tried to keep it short and simple but haeyeon wasn't backing out of this. "all this was because of hyuck? he's not me and you didn't bother to ask how i felt first"

jaemin sighed, "i'm sorry yeon, i should have asked you first. i just.. haechan means so much to me and i don't want to lose him. i've seen my friends fight over bora and— "

his eyes widened as he mentioned the said girl's name. shit

"bora? what does she have to do with the fight?! you mean jeno and the rest?"

"uh no, i mean— i think.."

haeyeon got up from his shoulder and looked at him in the eye. "is there something i don't know and you should probably be telling me?"

jaemin sighed again, "they are gonna kill me for this.." he mumbled under his breath

"so.. jeno and hyuck kinda had a big argument over bora... during freshmen year. it wasn't pretty, but they eventually made up" jaemin briefly explained

"what did they fight about, can i ask?"

"bora was haechan's girlfriend and, bora and jeno were childhood friends, with some history.. yeah, that's about it"

haeyeon stared into space for awhile. he had a girlfriend and he didn't even think to mention it to his sister?

"hello? yeon? are you ok?" jaemin waved his hands worriedly in front of her face as she was caught in a daze

"oh... he never mentioned it to me before.." she trailed off, looking at jaemin

"well.. it's not the fondest memory we have, hyuck liked bora even though he knew jeno had a big crush on her and turns out she liked hyuck back so.. i guess you can make out the rest of the story, typical teen drama"

so are they still considered together now..

"they broke up, if that's what you're wondering.. she had to leave the country for an arranged marriage or something like that..."

haeyeon looked at jaemin with a shocked expression. "how did you know.. i was gonna ask you that..."

"what can i say, i know you pretty well yeon"