vidar's revenge

With the Bifrost in sight, Ragnarok also loomed closer. The armies had since moved away from the fallen mountain, spilling towards the rainbow bridge at an alarming speed. Thus far, the kindergarten class had skirted around the worst of the war, but if Thor and Loki were right, everyone was converging on the bridge.

Will had yet to devise a plan to keep the children safe and together. Fortunately, a long, coarse rope was tucked in the corner of the chariot. It was thick and long enough to secure around the waists of the children. They couldn't take the chariot with them, something Loki had pointed out as they approached the gates to the bridge.

"The goats cannot travel to Midgard without Thor," Loki said, pulling the chariot to a stop. "This is as far as we can go with them."

"Okay." Will glanced back at his children, who waited patiently for instruction.

Though it had only been a few days, Will saw their ordeal's impact on them. They awakened Loki and started Ragnarok, were trapped in a school, attacked by a giant wolf and snake, whisked away to another world, tricked by a trickster, helped their injured teacher and watched a god die. The innocent trip to the woods behind Rainbow Elementary School felt like a lifetime ago.

While Loki released Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr, Will folded his arms over the chariot's edge. The wood had lost its sleek shine and splintered from the rough treatment.

"How are my little mice doing?" Will asked. "Are you excited to go home?"

"Yeah!" replied the chorus. Will's smile twitched as he shivered. "This is the most important part of our journey, okay? You have to listen to everything, Loki and I say. If we say duck, you'll duck. If we tell you to hide, hide like little mice. If we tell you to close your eyes, pretend you're like the three blind mice. No matter how scary things get, you'll be safe, okay?"

Twenty little heads bobbed up and down in understanding. Charlie raised her hand. "Mr. P, who will keep you safe?"

Will glanced at Loki, still fighting with the stubborn goats. His quiet curses and threats were punctuated by taunting bleats.

"You don't have to worry about me," the teacher said, winking at the children. "Now, find your buddies. Hold hands as tight as you can, and do not let go. You're going to follow me. Loki will be right behind you."

The children scurried to find their walking buddies as Loki freed the goats and joined Will.

"There is still one option you haven't considered," Loki pointed out.

"We are not leaving them as bait," Will said.

"I'm only saying. This walk will be difficult enough for you in this state. Add twenty children to the mix, and disaster will strike." Loki tilted his head, mischief twinkling in his eyes. "Perhaps we can leave you as bait. Since you'll slow us down."

Will thrust one end of the rope at Loki. "I'll be fine. Start tying this around their waists."

"If you fall behind, I'm not stopping." There was no smirk this time on Loki's scarred mouth. He meant the warning. Even though that's what Will wanted, the roots of worry ensnared his stomach.

The children were lined up in two rows, holding hands with their walking buddies. The rope secured them together, each end held by Loki and Will. Without the safety net the chariot provided, Will felt the prickling of vulnerability. Every slight noise made his heart leap into his throat.

The gates were towering arches carved from granite. Nordic runes were inscribed along the stone, similar to the markings found on Loki's altar. A stone corridor walled them in, providing a semblance of cover should things turn against their favour. Overhead, the glistening rays of the rainbow beckoned to them, their shining beacon of hope.