looks like we made it

A soft hand brushed the hair back from his face. A constant, steady beeping irritated Will, though it was inescapable. A tired sigh drifted above him, followed by a door opening.

"Any changes?" a familiar voice asked. The word "mom" surfaced in Will's memory. When was the last time he'd seen his mom?

"Nothing." another familiar voice replied. "It's been days, and the doctors aren't even sure he'll wake up."

"If I know my son. He will." Will's mom shifted towards the bed, and Will felt her lips against his temple. Her perfume was the same as it had been since he was a child. It reminded him of home. Though at the moment, the way it mingled with the sterile hospital smell, Will's stomach churned. "Have you had anything to eat yet, Ben?"

"Some coffee. I don't want to leave in case he wakes up."

There was some shuffling, and Will fought his eyes which remained stubbornly shut.

"Go eat. I'll text you if anything changes."

The chair groaned as Ben stood, but at that moment, Will found he could move his hand. He squeezed Ben's hand, and the silence was shocking.

Then Ben leaned in close, his voice warm and hopeful. "Will? Babe, are you awake?"

Will's eyes finally unglued themselves. Slowly, he pried them open, and through bleary vision, he saw Ben. It wasn't a dream either. Ben was there, clutching his hand so tight Will's fingers tingled. When their eyes met, Ben broke. Tears trailed down his cheeks, and he was on the verge of laughing hysterically. On the other side of the bed, Will's mom stood, one hand on her chest, her eyes misty.

He was in a hospital bed. In his world. Outside, the sun was bright and unencumbered by clouds. The breeze kicked up dried leaves. Fall had arrived, the trees shedding their summer attire for the drab colours of winter.

He'd had the strangest dream, involving the end of the world. But the world was still spinning.

"Oh, God, Will," Ben grinned, kissing Will gently. "W-we need the doctor."

"I'll find her," Will's mom said. She pressed a hand to her son's cheek before gliding out of the room.

Will stared at Ben the whole time, drinking in every minute detail, right down to the splotchy freckle on the tip of his nose. His beard had grown out, neglected after days of sitting by Will's bedside. Raccoon bags ringed his bloodshot eyes, but he was Will's Ben.

"Am I dreaming?" Wil had to be. Luck had avoided him at every turn. "Please tell me you're not Loki."

Ben's eyebrows knitted with a mix of concern and amusement. "Loki? Like the Marvel villain? The doctor said you might have a concussion, but I'm positive I'm not Loki.

Stinging nettles pricked the corners of Will's eyes. Now he was convinced everything had been a dream. A vivid, traumatic dream, but seeing his boyfriend leaning over the hospital bed, Will knew it wasn't the work of the trickster.

"Ben?" he rasped. He cleared his throat with a wince.

"Oh, water, you need water." Ben scoured the room. "Where's the pitcher? Ah—there it is." Ben made to leave the bed, but Will couldn't let him go. He stared at the man he loved, who frowned back. Then a sob bubbled out as Will cracked.

"What is it? Are you in pain?" Ben came back to the side of the bed.

"I'm sorry," Will cried, "I'm so sorry for everything."

Ben cupped Will's cheeks with a tender touch. "Hey, shh, it's okay—"

"No, no, it's not." Will reached for his boyfriend, the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He couldn't see through the blur of tears. "Y-you're not a coward, Ben. I should never have said what I said, and then I didn't know if I'd ever get to say that to you. I love you, Benjamin Sawyer, whether we're married or not. I love you and will never force you into anything you're not ready for."