asgard's bridges falling down

The Bifrost shone like the gates of Heaven. The colours lost their distinctness up close, blending to create a white-hot shine. The light was so bright that Will's eyes watered, forcing him to look away. The bridge's incline was steep, and a set of stairs was carved into the floor to aid with the climb. A god in pristine gold armour stood next to the rainbow, his calm gaze locked on the class as they approached.

Regal, though even that word was inadequate of a description. The Aesir moved with carefully measured gestures. His chin held high. On his belt hung a curved horn, a thin sword hanging from the other side.

"I have been expecting you," the god said, warm and honeyed. "I see that Thor has fallen. May he find eternal peace in the halls of Valhalla."

He dipped his head respectfully before focusing on where Loki had stood. Where Loki had been was a child, the same age as Will's class. The beautiful child batted his eyes innocently, but there was no mistaking the hair like golden fire, the porcelain skin and the eyes like sharpened jewels.

A disgusted look soured the god's lordly features. "You." His honeyed eyes fell on Mjolnir. "How dare you—"

"Eep," the child Loki squeaked. "Mr. P, he's scaring me!" He darted behind Will, who rolled his eyes.

"You're not fooling anyone," the teacher muttered.

"This is your fault," Heimdall growled. He slid his sword out of its sheath. "You have doomed us all. And now you stole Mjolnir. I should have killed you when I had the chance."

"Wait, wait, please," Will interrupted hastily. "I get it. You want to kill him, and I don't blame you—" ("disrespectful idiots," child Loki huffed) "—but can you please help us get across? The battle is at your doorstep, and we can't let Ragnarok get to our world. These kids deserve to go home. Once you help us, you can have your revenge on Loki."

"You can't bargain me like that," child-Loki grumbled, though neither Heimdall nor Will paid him any mind.

"Do we have a deal?"

Heimdall studied Will for a moment and then gave one firm nod. "You have a deal. Come, children, to the bridge."

Will let out an airy laugh and gave the children a thumbs up. They'd made it. They were going home. He detached them from the rope, his giddiness rubbing off on them."Go on, start climbing. I'm right behind you."

Loki stood next to Will, his usual adult-sized self, and touched the teacher's shoulder. "I told you, you'd make it."

"Yes, you did." Will smiled. "I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Loki. Thank you."

Loki's hand tightened on Will's shoulder, a grip that turned to iron, and his eyes flashed in warning. "Will, run—"

The first half of the kids had scrambled up to the top of the bridge. The kids disappeared as a blast of energy exploded next to Will and Loki. Loki's grip fell away as they were thrown off their feet. Will landed heavily, his breath whooshing out of him, his body screaming in pain.

Chaos ensued. The teacher heard Heimdall yelling for the children to run, but Will couldn't move. All he could do was throw his hands over his head as a splash of dirt exploded beside him.

Aesir and jotuns poured into the area, unaware of the children still left on the bridge. They were only focused on getting to the bridge. Ears ringing, Will tried to get up, but his footing wouldn't hold. He slipped, gritting his teeth. He had to get to the children.

A pair of hands hoisted him off the ground, spices cutting through the dust. "Get up, you lazy fool."

Will shook his head, which felt like it had been stuffed with cotton. "We need... the bridge... K-kids—"