chapter 17

lost in the storm
🎶 the gold - phoebe bridgers version

They arrived at the garage where JJ kept the Phantom, and he opened the door with pride

They arrived at the garage where JJ kept the Phantom, and he opened the door with pride. "There she be." He beamed. "Hey girl."

"Is he talking to the boat?" Aubrie whispered to Liv.

"Yep, he's talking to the boat." She nodded.

"1983 Forumla 402 SR1." He said. "The Phantom." He looked to the girls, who were entirely unimpressed. "First boat to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours. Forty years old! Forty. And it's still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

"It's kind of a junker." Kie deadpanned.

"Really? She's right there, Kie." He replied.

"The boat can't hear her." Aubrie sassed.

"Let's just put it this way. You would not be smoking weed right now is she never existed, okay?" He defended.

"I just hope it runs." Liv said.

"Oh no, she'll run all right." He replied. "She's faster than any of the cutters the boys in blue got."

The tires of a bike could be heard. "Pope, finally." Kie groaned.

However, it wasn't Pope who appeared from around the corner, it was Rafe. "Hey there, what's going on?" He said. "JJ? How you guys doing?"

From the other direction, Aubrie heard Barry whistle. "Well, well." He smiled, pulling out his gun and pointing it at JJ. "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my mother fucking money!" He yelled, hitting JJ.

"JJ!" Aubrie said, jumping up. Before she could get to him, Rafe grabbed her. "JJ!" She yelled.

He turned to the other two girls, backing them into a corner. "It's not you we want, Kie." He said. "Where's John B?"

"I don't know!" Kie yelled, slapping him across the face.

"Stay down, boy." Aubrie heard Barry say, looking over to see JJ laying on the ground.

"I really with you didn't do that." Rafe said to Kiara.

"I know what you did." Liv spat.

"What? What did I do?" He retorted.

"You murdered Peterkin." Kiara replied.

He was silent, before dropping Aubrie on the ground. He grabbed Kiara by the throat. "Don't you ever say those fucking words again."

Liv grabbed Rafe's arms, trying to loosen his grip on Kiara.

Aubrie backed away, heading toward JJ. Barry was kicking him, over and over. "Where is my money huh?"

Aubrie found a wrench, laying near a tool box. She grabbed it, standing up and walking toward Barry. She thought she had the element of surprise, coming up on him and getting ready to swing. However, suddenly, he turned around. He grabbed her arm and squeezed it so tight that she dropped the wrench. "Now what the hell do you think you're doing?"