Hanahaki

A disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies. It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.

Trigger warnings: mentions of death, death, mentions of blood, cursing

Keith POV

Hanahaki.

It's a new disease that has been discovered. It was once a legend, something that wasn't real. But somehow it came into our world. Infecting everyone who is a victim to one sided love. It has affected at least 1/8th of the population. There are two ways to get rid of it. One way is getting it surgically removed, however that person will lose feelings for their crush and there's a chance they will never know the feeling of love or any emotion. The other option is acceptance and death. A person accepts their fate and deals with this disease until it has taken over their lungs and kills them.

Allura heard about it and asked us if this disease has ever been around. When we told her the truth she was shocked. I was scared. I'll never admit it, but when I heard it was affecting everyone. I thought it was just people on Earth. No. I was wrong. It's affecting everyone in the entire universe.

"This disease is crazy but I want to study it! Maybe there is someway for us to prevent it or find other ways of getting rid of the flowers." Pidge said. Allura agreed with her. "Yes. We should try and find a way to prevent such a disease. These poor people are stung for unreturned love..." I needed to cough. Like really fucking bad. But I didn't want to alarm the others so I held it in. I didn't want them to see....my blue irises.

Yeah it's crazy. When a person coughs up flowers, the flower represents the person they love....Mine is a blue iris. It's such a beautiful flower...just like him. Just like-

"Lance are you okay? You're zoning out." "Yeah. It's just that well...What if I get the disease too? I mean we all know about my love for Allura...so.." Lance looked at me. Oh right. I forgot. He's been telling me how scared he was about getting the disease, so I promised to be his 'wingman.' I coughed a little into my hand, to catch any loose petals. I tightened my grip on the flower petals and walked over to Lance. He's so pretty...

"I'm sure if it was one sided you would have gotten Hanahaki by now. And I can tell you haven't. So Allura...Could you be in love with Lance?" These words feel like thorns in my mouth. I feel sour. What do I want her to say? Yes? No? I don't know. I looked at Allura and saw her blush. God. Please no. Or yes? Fuck.

"Well...perhaps I might...I mean you're not bad Lance." I turned to Lance and see him blush as well. I never had a chance, did I? "Well why don't we take a walk and find out Princess?" Allura giggled and took Lance's hand. The two walked off and left me heartbroken. But, even though my heart is shattered, at least Lance won't have to deal with this disease. Like I am. "Well me and Pidge will go start researching more about this disease. Would the rest of you like to join?" Shiro asked. Coran refused saying he would go fix the castle and Hunk said he would go bake instead. I also refused, "No I'm okay. That disease stuff makes my skin crawl. I'd rather go train." Shiro eyed me but shrugged his shoulders. "Alright see you guys later."

.

.

.

I have been coughing non stop. The flowers, the irises, are spreading faster then I thought. I clenched my eyes closed and squeezed the sink. It hurts. It really fucking hurts. I continued coughing, lots of petals and leaves came out. My throat felt dry and sore. I fell to the floor in pain. "I can't do this anymore..."