Is This Okay?

High school Au// Lance grows up and starts realizing a few things, all because he met someone.

Trigger warnings: mentions of homophobia, brief mentions of death threats, bullying, self questioning(?), cursing

Lance POV

Ever since I was a kid, I was told that being gay was gross. That people like that end up going to hell. That they should just lay down and die. I always thought those threats were harsh. I mean, why threaten someone who isn't bothering you? When I was younger, I didn't question it much, I just went along with the crowd. I didn't want people believing that was I was of them, but then...

I grew up.

I started high school and started noticing how different people are. And if they aren't bothering you, there's no reason to start stuff with those people. Sure, I saw plenty of gay people, I acted disgusted, but really, I thought it was cute. I just went along with the friend group I had. They acted grossed out, I would do the same. Even though I didn't really care. I know I should have done better things and made better choices. But my mentality was different. I grew up thinking all gay people were monsters that deserved to rot in hell.

But then, I met him. I was curious. Was being gay any different from being straight? I mean, were we really different? We are all human and bleed the same color.

So one day I decided to go up to him and talk to him. We were in the same class and I could have talked to him then, but my friends were also in that class. I didn't want them to get the wrong idea. Everyone knew he was openly gay, so it probably different affected him. So I met up with him in an empty classroom. He was confused, and I knew he wanted answers. I couldn't blame him though, I would be the same way if the guy who acts like being gay is a disease randomly came up to you and asked you to meet him in a private room. I tried to ease the tension. I cracked a joke, like I usually do. He laughed and called it corny. But hey, it was better than standing their in that silence. Eventually we started talking.

"So Keith right?" "Yup." "Well I'm Lance, you probably know who I am, but I actually wanted to ask you something." He seem confused but brushed it off. "Okay go for it." He sat on a desk and just waited. It took me a second to collect my thoughts before I formed a complete sentence. "What really is the different between you and me? Straight and gay?" He seemed caught off by the question but quickly recollected himself. "Well," He started. "Besides you liking girls and me liking boys, nothing. Sure the lgbtqia+ community has many different identifications and all, but that doesn't make us any less human than 'normal' people. The main difference between us is our preference for who we like and I guess personalities and interests. Besides that we are human. We bleed red too." That is what made me wonder. "Then why do we hate gay people so much?" "Because people think it isn't normal. If something isn't normal people take it as a bad thing and ended up hating it. Just because it isn't the 'norm' you known? But at least times are changing" I nodded. I was still confused but agreed with him. Keith was easy to talk to and didn't mind educating me on topics such as these. It made me feel safe.

I wanted to learn more, more on these types of subjects. I wanted to become educated because things are changing and I didn't want to be a jack ass about these types of things. So everyday after school we would meet in the same abandoned classroom. He would educate me on all different kinds of subjects. He would teach me what words were offensive and out-dated, and what I should say when referring to certain things. As the weeks passed I felt Iike I was understanding that we really weren't that different.

Recently, when Keith and I met up, he seemed to be beaten up. He sat on the floor rummaging through his bag. I kneel next to him. "What happened?" I remember asking. He looked at me, he had a black eye and a few bruises on his face. "Oh just some bullies..." "Are you being bullied? Why?" "Cause some people can't accept the fact that I like boys." My heart felt a pain. I hated seeing Keith hurt like that. After he pulled his first aid kit out I helped him get fixed up. I put on the bandages and cleaned up all his wounds. I wanted him to go to the nurse, but he refused. "Keith if these people keep picking on you tell me. I'll go beat their ass." He laughed. He has such a nice laugh.

.

.

.

Months have passed and the one thing I was scared of, felt like it was coming to life. Was I falling for Keith? I feel like it was a possibility. I mean, everyday, every afternoon I spent with him felt amazing. I felt like I was finally being who I really was. I wasn't acting. Keith understood me so well, he never once judged me. And I think I am falling for him. But, is this okay? Am I allowed to fall in love with Keith? With a guy?

"Hey you okay there Lance?" Keith stood in front of me. I sat on a desk, my legs spread apart and there he was. In between my legs looking at me with worry. He raised his left hand to touch my forehead briefly. "No fever. Are you okay Lance? You are spacing out." I slowly nodded. He was too close. Too close.

Without even realizing what I was doing, I pulled him closer. I pulled him into a hug and held him tight. My arms rested wrapped around his waist. I felt his arms wrap around my neck as he held me too. It felt nice being in his arms. But is this okay?

"Yes, if you really love someone, it's okay. Don't let society change who you are." I felt tears in my eyes. It's okay. Everything will be okay...

I looked down at him as he looked up. His lips were parted slightly, he looked cute. I wanted a taste of those lips, I wanted to feel him. We slowly leaned in and a few seconds later, our lips met. His tasted sweet. I love him.

The End <3