Chapter Six: I've Come For Blood

"Ah!" I shot up in my bed, sweat pouring down my face. I was shaking so hard I thought I was having a seizure and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I stumbled out of bed and fumbled with my doorknob, and somehow managed to get it open even though my hands were slick.

"Mom! Mom?" I fumbled around the house but she was nowhere to be seen, leaving me home alone.

I sprinted back up the stairs and locked my down, tucking a chair underneathe the knob just in case he came to taunt me. I flopped back down on my bed, putting my bead between my legs to stop the room from spinning. Why was he doing this to me? Was that real or was it a dream? Why did he pick me, out of seven billion people in the world?

I took two Benadryl before getting up and making sure my windows were locked, the curtain drawn.

I felt like I was falling. I mean, I knew that I wasn't, but as I trudged into a deep and well deserved sleep, I just felt like I was falling. Tree branches surrounded me all around and I tried helplessly to grab hold of one, only for each and every one of them to snap. I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came out, and soon I just gave up, arms and legs outstretched and flailing, stuck plummeting into the abyss.

"Ophelia! Ophelia!" Crows began to call to me. "Are you home? Ophelia!"

"Ophelia!! Open up, you missed school today! You alright in there?" I jumped when I heard the familiar voice call.

I rolled out if bed and ran a hand through my birds nest hair, and almost smiled when I was greeted by Ashton's cheery face. "Jesus Christ, you scared me," I mumbled under my breath as I let him in.

He furrowed his brow. "Ha, why? And where were you today, school was so... Off with out you." I shrugged and sat down on the couch. He plopped down next to me and I yawned. "You look like you haven't slept in a week and I just saw you yesterday, what's up?"

I looked down at my feet, twiddling my thumbs. He'll think I'm insane if I tell him. I can't. "Nothing, I'm fine. Just a little stressed."

He scoffed. "Sure. You'll tell me when you're ready. But... Can I say something a little unorthodox?" I nodded. "Everything here just feels so... Wrong. Like, I don't know, I can't explain it but this morning I just woke up with this horrible feeling. Like something really bad is gonna happen. And I haven't been able to shake it off all day." I looked into his deep green eyes and saw the fear and confusion. I understood what he meant. I had that same feeling ever since he came to town.

"Yeah. I know." I felt my heart start to pound and head spin. Oh my god, please don't let Ashton get involved in this too.

"But you should've been at school today! Mikey got into a huge fight with that creepy boy-"

"What??" I gasped. This could not be good.

"Yeah! But, honestly, I couldn't really tell you what happened, it was all so blurry. Like one minute Michael was talking to him, the next minute Luke was on top of him, it was so weird." Ashton furrowed his brow again.

I felt stiff and rigid. "Hm, th-that is weird," I finally managed to stutter out.

"But anyway," he began, "I brought you some homework!"

"Oh God, you shouldn't have," I sighed. His smile was infectious.

"I know, I know. Mrs Fredrik's English report is due Monday, don't forget. Biology, chemistry and social studies homework as well, and don't forget about our French exam next Thursday," Ashton continued, reaching into his bag and handing me the work.

"Thank you, Ashton," I placed it in my lap. At least now I wouldn't be far behind just from missing one day.

"You're welcome love. Walk me out?" I nodded and ran an anxious hand through my tangled hair. He stopped in the doorframe and turned around, his expression suddenly serious. "And Ophelia? I... I don't want to sound crazy or schizophrenic or anything like that but..." He licked. "I just feel as if something is very wrong. I can't out my finger on it. I don't know, I just feel like something has come and just made the whole world spin in reverse. I can't quite explain it but just... Just be careful, okay?" I felt my heart race in my chest and felt almost as if there was another set of eyes on me.

"I will. I promise."

He smiled again. "Thank you. See you tomorrow at school, yeah?"

"Yeah." I nodded and he turned, walking away. I watched him make his way back down the street, waiting until he was out of sight to close the door.

Mostly because I didn't want him to leave. And I didn't want him to leave because I could feel it.

Everything he said he felt. Like everything was suddenly backwards. And it was getting worse.

I could feel it. I could feel it too.