Chapter One: What You've Paid For

I could feel him watching me.

New neighbors were moving in next door to us on a hot, summer afternoon, and I watched intently out of my bedroom window while movers carried box after box out of the truck and into the house that had been almost completely abandoned for as long as I could remember.

I could feel him watching me.

I tried my best to ignore the hairs on the back of my hair standing up as I made my way down to the kitchen for some juice, wishing that my parents were home. I looked at the calender and sighed. What kind of parents leave their 17 year old daughter in a big empty house by herself for a week, even if it was for something as corny as an Oncologists Convention. I was starting to get lonesome and paranoid and they'd only been gone for a day.

I turned on the TV in the living room and put my feet up as I sipped on some orange juice, watching music videos to pass the time.

DING DONG.

I raised my eyebrows. Who the hell would be ringing my doorbel this early in the morning? I didn't even really have friends.

I went to answer the door, but no one was there. I scoffed and pouted; probably just some shitty freshmen who thought they were being funny. I turned around and headed back to the living room, plopping back down on the couch and flipping through the channels.

DING DONG.

I groaned loudly. I wasn't in the mood for anyone's shit this morning and, to be quite honest, this was starting to get weird. I felt like one of the dumb blondes in horror movies who think they know everything but still end up getting their heads chopped off at the end of the movvie.

This time I opened up the door nice and wide, sticking my head out and looking to the left and right twice, making sure no one was in sight. It looked like the movers had finished their jobs already, since the giant truck was no longer parked in the driveway. I furrowed my brow. How in the hell did they do that so fast?

I shook my head and close the door tightly in front of my, making sure I double locked it before I turned back around and made my way quietly back to my seat.

DING DONG.

I jumped up and ran to the front door this time. This was so childish and ignorant, and by now, I was a little scared.

"Who is it!?" I screamed outside before I looked through the peep hole.

The reply I got back was a light chuckle, a chuckle that chilled me to the bone and made my hands shake.

I pressed my eye to the peephole and looked outside, gasping when I saw him.

He was tall, a little over 6 feet and was dressed in complete black from head to toe. He was biting down on his bottom lip while a smirk played across his face and had one of his hands on the door while the other was in his pocket.

"The Devil," he smiled back, a gleam in his eyes I didn't like.

His eyes.

I let my glare travel up and down his face before I stopped at his eyes, and I gasped when I looked into them.

They were completely soulless. They showed no emotion. They were deadly.

They were completely black.

-

Hey guys. How is the story so far? I hope everyone likes it!

Chapters are gonna get longer, and Idk what to start naming them, so I decided to just pick songs that I love, and just kinda pick lyrics from them that I think go with the chapter. I picked The Ballad Of Mona Lisa for this ("There's nothing wrong with a taste of what you've payed for") because it's a suspense-filed song, and this is a suspense-filled book hahah!

Don't forget to comment and vote, updates for my stories Purgatory and Sex Addict up now!

-Celeste