Magia Magnum Concordant

The deep vaults of the archives under the Ministry of Magic were voluminous, known fully to only a handful of individuals. Archways with pitch-black passageways led off this way and that, to all first-time viewers they were seemingly unending tunnels towards the centre of the earth. Most tunnels and chambers of the archives, during the last few years, were silent and unmoving, little used, but the main records chamber for the Ministry held some areas more frequented than others. The specific area where the wizard stood was, like almost all of the archive chambers, filled with books. The majority of the massive quantity of tomes were silent and increasingly dust-covered but one area, though, was not inactive; besides the presence of an actual wizard, a living, human, non-ghostly entity, besides that presence the large books of the main chamber were being updated with an alarming frequency. Pages zoomed from one book to another, replicated the information, and then returned to it's source book.

The Unspeakable was not surprised that the books were updating themselves; that happened all the time, especially in the more recent archives. The Unspeakable was surprised, however, that these specific books were updating, the books that held the genesis of Wizangamot, the magical form of government and the very, very old and ancient histories of the noble houses. As another slight tremor passed through the chamber the old Unspeakable couldn't contain his curiosity.

Curiosity is a main tenet of being an Unspeakable, and Saul Croaker had curiosity in spades. It allowed him to raise to the position of elder Unspeakable, working on his own regarding theories and ideas without much oversight, one of the reasons that he was in the Ancient Records chamber that day. He was positive that there was a direct line of Merlin somewhere in the deep archives, in those musty and fragile scrolls of parchment, that the generally accepted history that Merlin had remained childless was actually a smokescreen to protect the Merlin progeny. Unfortunately he was proven incorrect, as there was no Merlin line, but his curiosity did serve him well as he was now a witness to the busiest time in the history of the Ministry regarding the Ancient and Noble Houses. Oh, how they would pay to see this memory in a pensieve!

As a page fluttered through the air and went towards a book he watched as the book opened, the pages flipped and then the new page was assimilated into the back of the book, the tome turning a bright blue for a second as the magic confirmed the entry and then the large, leather cover slammed shut. He slipped on his reading glasses and walked over to the book, confused. The Unspeakable tapped the cover of the book with his wand, granting him access, and then turned towards the last few pages, stopping at the next-to-last page with a slight gasp.

Lord Edmund Charles Bedivere Greengrass, deceased.

Lord Greengrass was dead? Croaker involuntarily glanced up at the ceiling of the chamber, as many, many floors above him the Wizangamot chamber was located, and everyone knew that a Wizangamot session had been called to invest Lady Black and Lord Potter with their Wizangamot robes and seats. Lord Greengrass was not that old of a man, a comparative schoolboy compared to the old Unspeakable, so the idea of him having a heart attack and dying of shock when Lady Black or Lord Potter took their place was highly unlikely.

Another tremor shook the ground under Croaker's feet, rendering him slightly unsteady for a few moments, but he quickly regained balance as the floor calmed. He turned back to the book and turned the page, noting the new, crisp parchment and ink that was not quite dry. "Curious." He said it aloud, as it was quite a surprise. It was not unusual for the head of house to skip a generation or two, owing to primogeniture or a line squibbing out, but this was highly unusual, as it seemed that the Greengrass line had skipped many lines, resulting in the new head of House Greengrass being the son of a Muggle milkman. He glanced up again towards the ceiling; what in Merlin's name had gone on so that the head of house passed to a Muggleborn wizard still at Hogwarts named Colin Creevey?