The thin line of Samhain

Friday, 31 October

Hogwarts castle was alive with the expectation of the usual Halloween party, the decorations were charmed into place and the ghosts were thoroughly enjoying themselves startling unobservant first and second year students. Luna Lovegood had helped, in her usual fashion, by transfiguring small clay models of Nargles into a herd of flying figures, somewhat in the manner of bats, that swarmed and darted about the heads of everyone in the great hall. Seamus Finnegan had been pecked in the head after class by one, it's single horn embedded in his ear for a few moments which precipitated a visit to Madam Pomfrey. Headmistress McGonagall tried to have Luna cease the charm, but since the Ravenclaw girl had given each of the Nargles their own personality they tended to make themselves scarce whenever anyone tried to cast a finite in their direction.

Almost all of the students were in their dorms, getting dressed in their finest for the Halloween feast and party. Almost, as in Harry's private room several notable students were donning more posh attire in preparation for the British and Irish Quidditch League event. To be more precise, several students and a former student, specifically the females. The male students were currently in their formal robes, or robes of their Houses, sitting near the fireplace drinking butterbeer and wondering exactly how long it would take their dates for the evening to be ready to depart.

"How long does it take to put on a dress and charm some makeup?" Ron looked over at Harry and then over to the clock on the fireplace mantle for what seemed like the thousandth time in the last twenty minutes. "I still have to go pick up Jack."

"I'm sure they'll be ready soon. I can't wait!" Colin's leg bounced up and down as he fidgeted.

Harry glanced over at the two Gryffindors and sighed. Ron was chomping at the bit to go see Jack and Colin was bursting with excitement, as usual. At least he'd convinced Colin to leave his camera behind for the evening. Unsurprisingly, as Tonks liked to tease him, Colin followed Harry's lead and had invested some of his Galleons in the Chudley Supporters Trust, garnering him an invitation as Lord MacBeth to the event. He'd asked Ginny Weasley to be his date, just as a friend, as he knew she'd want to go but wouldn't have a way otherwise. Glancing at the door to his bedroom Harry knew that the problem wasn't the fact that Ginny and Daphne Greengrass were getting ready, it was his wife. He'd had to hear about how she didn't want to wear the normal Lady Black robes and Daphne had been unsuccessful in suggesting other things to wear. Mostly Dora had been complaining about getting fat but, luckily for him, he couldn't see it and had said so, earning him a very nice evening the night before.

Ron couldn't take it and went over to the door, banging on it. "Come on, you lot, we'll be late!"

Ginny's voice came through the door, muffled only slightly. "Keep your hair on! We're almost done!"

As Ron muttered and started pacing Harry couldn't take it any longer. "Ron, it starts at eight. It's half-five. We'll have plenty of time to go pick up Jack."

Ron never had a chance to respond as the door opened, Ginny in the lead, her look of irritation somewhat spoiling a very nice makeup job. Daphne was next and then Dora, trailing behind, fastening an earring. The ladies all looked wonderful, their hair in different styles that made them look quite elegant, not to mention the dresses. Harry was happy that his wife must have listened to Daphne as she had on the pale green dress that she'd said was 'bloody uncomfortable and dowdy' two days ago.

"Finally!" Ron clapped his hands. "Ok, who has the portkey?" He looked at everyone. "Where's the bloody portkey? It's timed, if we miss it..."

"Settle down, Cannon." Dora reached into her small clutch and pulled out a plaid scarf. "We've still got to get outside the ward line. We've got plenty of time."