Chapter Twenty Four

I decided to go to school the next day

I decided to go to school the next day. I don't know why, Topper came by my house to drag me and Dayton in school.

It was coming near to the end of the school day and I had a free period so I went outside to sit on a bench whilst listening to music on my phone.

"Lauren!" I heard someone shout. I looked up to see Kiara, Pope and JJ sitting in a car in the parking lot.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked walking over to the car where Pope rolled the window down.

"Wanna come to charleston?" Pope asked.

"Charleston? Why the hell are you going charleston?" I asked trying not to raise my voice.

"This chick sent Pope a letter saying she has something that can clear John B's name," JJ explained to me.

"'cause that's not sketchy at all. Even if I wanted to come there's no space in your car," I said squinting my eyes since the sun was in the way.

None of them said anything, JJ just patted his lap making me raise an eyebrow.

                   •_______________•

"Are her parents gonna let her go?" I asked Pope and JJ as we watched Kiara talking.

"Not a chance. But that's not gonna stop her," Pope told me.

"They're taking it really well," JJ said and Pope hummed in response. "How'd you get this rig? 'Cause I know your old man didn't let you have it," he asked Pope.

"I undid the intake valves on the carburettor. Made in start pinging," Pope answered.

"And now you're just gonna take it to your cousin Jeff's house. Just gonna get it fixed," JJ said.

"Crash overnight," both of the boys said in unison.

"I did not understand a word of that," I said from in between the boys.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it," JJ said ruffling my hair. "I think I'm rubbing off on you, Pope. Lying to your old man, stealing his truck. Kinda sounds familiar," JJ said turning his attention back to Kie and her parents.
"All right, that's a sore subject. My bad," he said to Pope.

"I'd say we have about 18 hours before he absolutely loses his shit. So as long as we get it back before then, I think we're good" Pope explained to us.

"It's good to see y'all, Mr and Mrs Carrera," JJ waved to the pair while they were arguing with Kie about sending her to boarding school.

"Hi, uh, ma'am, sir, I promise to have her back at a reasonable hour and safe," Pope said waving.

"What are you doing?" Kie asked him.

"Kiara, listen to me. If you wanna go, then you can go. But if you don't come back at the proper time, then don't come back at all!" Kie's mom shouted to her.